Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I saw a real nice Remington 700 BDL that appeared to be an early one by the nicer wood and deeper bluing compared to the new stuff. It was chambered in .220 Swift and the price was 400.00 cash. I'm wondering if that was one I should have bought. I can't recall seeing any (or very many) older 700s in Swift. Any thoughts on the scarcity of this rifle? It appeared to be original. If it's anything special, I can buy it next Wednesday if he still has it.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Based on the fact that this one on Gunbroker is asking $3,000...I would say $400 is a fair price. Granted, the one you saw is not in the original box with all the paper work, but I'm guessing it's still worth twice what is being asked, at the very least. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=195671061

Were I you, I would research what serial numbers correspond with very early 700 BDL rifles that might have been offered in 220 Swift. If you return on Wednesday and it's still there, compare the numbers. If it looks right, and the bolt matches, this becomes a true no-brainer.

·
Inactive for over a decade
1,398 Posts
Only problem may be the barrel is shot out. Early Swifts were noted for this problem but by the time this one was produced the appearance of newer powders helped reduce the problem. If it's an investment only then it appears too be good deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.