Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone out there has one of these light varment stainless synthetics in 22-250 and if you have been able to get any serious groups with handloads. I have tried many different bullet and powder combinations and I cannot get it to shoot much less than 1" at 100 yards. I love to antelope hunt with this rifle and so I am trying to utilize a better quality bullet like the 55 grain game king from Sierra. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Sounds like its shooting pretty good to me. Sometimes we strain at gnats.

·
Inactive member
1,648 Posts
I've been plalying with 22-250 loads for about two months now, working up loads for a Tikka 22-250 Varmint 1:14 twist barrel. Based on my results to this point, mine does not like 55 grain bullets. My best groups are coming with 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips #39522 and 36.6 grains of Varget. These are normally one hole groups at 100yds and approx one inch at 400. The best I've been able to get from 55gr Hornady VMax's has been approx 3/4" at 100 and 2.5 - 3" at 400. The 50 grains are only giving me 18" of drop at 400 with 100yd zero. However, these are varmint bullets and the biggest thing I ever plan to shoot with mine is a coyote and 400 yards is about the max these bullets are recommend for something their size. Antelope are a right smart larger than the yotes, so I don't think I would even try anything past 200yds on antelope with a 22-250, even then it would not be a varmint bullet. If I ever thought I might ever try, it would be with a lot better bullet than a varmint.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I own a LVSF (Light Varmint Stainless Fluted) in 221 Fireball. I found I could not keep a constant point of impact because the synthetic stock flexed too much and I was getting random pressure points on the barrel. I would get little tiny goups but they would be all over the place. I chased what I thought were scope problems for awhile, then I chased what I thought was barrel fouling issue for awhile. Finally one day in frustration I folded a business card into thirds and stuffed it under the barrel right at the end of the forestock. Bingo ... nice tight groups in the same place time after time.

I ended up selling that stock in favor of a Boyds Thumbhole Laminate. The word Light in Light Varmint Stainless Fluted was taken out of the nomenclature because the laminate stock is much heavier. The rigid stock did the trick. This is what the gun looks like now. I like it much better when I know the bullet will hit where I aim.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I have this rifle, and I think it's a VSF. It has a 26" barrel in 22-250 and shoots better 5-shot groups, consistently, than ANY of my rifles:

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Thanks Flash, but its the rifle, not me. A good shooter could probably make that rifle sing all the time.

I don;t know why it does shoot well, but for BRNG525, I think it has to do with dialing in the reloads. I can't tell if this rifle has a preference for certain bullets over others, because that would entail shooting bullets of all weights and profiles from all the manufacturers. Instead, I usually buy Sierra and Nosler bullets in 40gr, 50gr, 55gr, and 60gr, in a single configuration (I try for flat base but will work on the boattails if I can;t get the other). Then, I build loads for those bullets until I get 2 different "Best Loads" for each bullet. Consistency is important to me, so before I call it a "Best Load", a cartridge loaded that way has to give me several consistent 5-shot groups.

I've also deverloped good loads for the Speer 50gr TNT and the Berger 60gr Varmint bullet.

If I just can;t find a good load for a certain bullet, I just don;t buy that bullet anymore. For this rifle, The Speer 55gr Varmint is one that I won;t buy anymore - the rifle doesn;t like it. Maybe if I kept trying many different powders and primers and overall lengths, maybe I could find a load for it, but it's not worth the work when the Sierras and Noslers shoot so well in that bullet weight.

So, I like Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady bullets. Normally, I buy those and see if I can find at least two good loads for each, but I'll drop one like a hot potato if it doesn;t show any signs of promise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had an LVSF in .223, I sold a nice shooting Sportsman 78 in .223 after I bought it. I should have shot it first, I never found anything that would group better than 2 inches with it. I tried all kinds of loads, even put the action in a different stock, it just wouldn't shoot for me. I sold it last week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flashhole,
Was the stock you purchased a drop in stock or did it take a bunch of modification. I am not overly concerned about the weight due to the fact that most of the antelope hunting I do is in open rolling hill type of country. I just have to get it to shoot better than what I am getting now or it will have to go down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
StretchNM,
The gun looks the same as mine, minor difference in the stock but basically the same. The groups you have pictured here look nice. I see you used 4064, do you mind telling me the load you used to obtain these groups.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
brng525 - my stock came finished and what they refer to as 99% inletted. I had to do some minor sanding around the barrel lug and just a touch off the barrel channel. It was not difficult to do.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
BRNG525
I don;t remember which bullet weights those were! But! I do have the best loads per bullet weight, and those loads were all listed as Best Loads. I can backtrack through the pictures, then match the picture date up with the dates on my load spreadsheet (date fired, group size, etc), but for simplicity let me give you the Best Loads per bullet weight using IMR4064:

Sierra 40gr Varminter HP-flat, 36.0 IMR4064, CCI200 primer, 2.300" OAL with heavy crimp
Sierra 60gr Varminter HP-flat, 33.5 IMR4064, CCI200, 2.350"
Berger 60gr Varminter HP-flat, 35.2 IMR4064, CCI250M, 2.490" heavy crimp

Now, the "heavy crimp" does not necessarily meana truly heavy crimp. I use the Lee Factory Crimp die and that just means that I'm putting what I think is a fair amount of pressure on the lever. For most guys using a roll crimp, it would probably be considered a light crimp.

The other bullets shoot better with different powder/primer/OAL combinations (Nosler 40gr BT IMR4007SSC; Speer 50gr TNT IMR4895; Sierra 50gr HV IMR4895; Speer 55gr Varmint H380; Sierra 55gr Varmint IMR4007SSC)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
StretchNM_ Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. I did a little more research and my gun must be a little different as I only have a 22" barrel. Hopefully I will get it to shoot better. I have lots of time to work on it before antelope season rolls around. Have you ever tried the 45 grain Barnes TSX bullets in you 22-250. I know that they are a little expensive for shooting gophers or coyotes but I think that they would make an excellant antelope bullet.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I haven't tried them. They're just out of my price range, and I think a Sierra or Nosler (or any other bullet) would probably kill what I want to kill just as dead and just as quickly. FOr antelope, I suppose you could use a nice 55 or 60gr bullet, but I would turn to my 25-06, I think.

·
Banned
742 Posts
The best way to fix any or these problems......Savage 12!!!
LOL! Cheaper too!!!:D

Honestly though, one inch is a good group. Take a step back and think about it from a different direction. Make sure you have a sound rest. Solid, no movements and all that. Even have other people shoot it. Some people are just better shots than others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wood Stock

Flashhole,
can you tell me if your stock is the varmint stock with the two front swivel studs or does it just have the one? I also would like to know if you had to do any additional work on the stock to get it to fit your rifle? I am ready to pull the trigger on ordering one but want to make sure of which one to get.
thanks for your time,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.