Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!! Trying to determine manufacture date of what I believe is the first American made Browning Auto 5 preceding the Model 11 and I've run into a dead end.

Serial # is 2xxx (4 digits). All numeric, no alpha characters

Nothing on firearm states Model 11 and based on research so far, I believe this is one of John Brownings first Remington made Auto 5 when he licensed it to them for North American sales due to high tariff's on the FN Belgian produced A5. Internals are exactly the same as Auto 5, different from Model 11. Serial numbers match on trigger group, buttstock, receiver, and barrel magazine mount. No caliber is listed anywhere on the receiver or barrel. Pre Remington Arms and UMC consolidation.

Markings on receiver: "REMINGTON ARMS CO., ILION N.Y. U.S.A."
"BROWNING'S PATENTS OCT. 9 1900, DEC. 17 1901, SEPT. 30 1902, JUNE 16 1903"

No other markings on receiver.

Barrel markings: top - "REMINGTON ARMS CO., ILION N.Y. U.S.A."

No caliber found anywhere else on barrel. Matching four digit serial number is on bottom of barrel mount that slides onto the magazine tube. Looks like hieroglyphics on bottom of barrel, so I don't have a clue as to what that's all about (one shaped like horseshoe, elongated "C" or "U" if barrel is stood on it's muzzle. Other shape is like a box with sail on top and rear of box is curved inward. Also what I think is a "Z" on sections that guides barrel into receiver).

Safety is inside the trigger guard, forward of trigger and slides along inside top of guard.

Neither Remington nor Browning could help and I've searched all the serial number look-up info I could find. Four digits (2XXX) and no alpha characters.

Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

What you have was called the "Remington Autoloading Shotgun" (Pre-Model 11), made from 1905-1910 on the Browning Patent in 12ga only, with 20" (Riot), 26" or 28" barrels, either plain or w/matted rib.

By 1911, Remington started producing their own version, the Model 11, and discontinued the Browning version.

FWIW, The Remington autoloaders referred to as "American Brownings" were the modified Model 11's made with Browning markings during WWII, while the FN plant in Herstal, Belgium was under Nazi occupation.

"American Browning's" were serialized by gauge, with a letter SN prefix - "A"= 16ga, "B"= 12ga, & "C"=20ga.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts