Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching for months, tried numerous antique parts gunsmiths with no luck and no new leads. An extractor for a Rem Model 12 is hard to find, a 12CS (WRF ammo) seems impossible to locate. Rounds won't feed into the chamber. I believe (from reading similar complaints) due to a worn extractor that allows the bullet end of the cartridge to lift out of proper orientation when the cartridge is extracted from the magazine and the slide is back. Thus, when chambering on the forward slide the bullet tip misses the chamber.

Assuming I can't locate a replacement extractor. Is there a procedure to build up the worn area of my extractor with weld or something and then file or smooth the piece into spec. I'm reaching for a solution and I hope there is a creative person out there who can help.

The rifle is not gunked up. Fully disassembled, cleaned, re-blued and wood refinished. It is a beautiful rifle and needs to be put back into proper service. Thanks for consideration.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Parts can be built up and re-shaped but on tiny parts like extractors its easier to just make one.
The Remington Model 12, the Winchester Model 61 and the FN Trombone are essentially the same gun but parts don't interchange.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reading and responding to my inquiry.

Do you know of anyone who can make and extractor for a Remington Model 12CS? Apparently the 12CS extractor is slightly different than the more common extractor used for 22 short, long and long rifle ammo, or so I'm told.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Making a M12 extractor is not a big job, but I'm kinda doubting that's your problem. It sounds like a worn carrier dog to me but I'd have to see the gun cycle to be sure.
The extractor is different but only in dimension, not in design. The WRF rim is thicker and larger.

Do you still have the extractor but its not working right, or missing the part all together?

BTW-- You said the gun is 22WRF. You sure it's not a 22 Rem Special? I didn't know the M12 was made in WRF.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,593 Posts
The two cartridges are identical, the difference being the Remington had a round nosed slug while the Winchester had a flat nosed slug.

RJ

Reactions: joe45c

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
No doubt, but it would be strange for a Remington to be marked with the Win caliber. Numrich Arms shows a factory conversion to S-L-LR, but I'm sure they're 'out of stock'. ;)
I wonder if the nose profile might be the feeding problem....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Making a M12 extractor is not a big job, but I'm kinda doubting that's your problem. It sounds like a worn carrier dog to me but I'd have to see the gun cycle to be sure.
The extractor is different but only in dimension, not in design. The WRF rim is thicker and larger.

Do you still have the extractor but its not working right, or missing the part all together?

BTW-- You said the gun is 22WRF. You sure it's not a 22 Rem Special? I didn't know the M12 was made in WRF.
JBelk<
Thanks for your feedback. I've been concerned that I may not get this rifle firing again, your comment give me hope. You are correct, today's ammo is WRF, the rifle is engraved with 22 Remington Special inscription. You are also correct that I'm not positive about the reason for the feeding problem. I claimed that because I've read of similar feed problems on forums that have identified the worn extractor and as naive as I was about parts acquisition I thought I'd just buy one and try it. I didn't realize how hard it would be to obtain. The rifle is intact and has all of it's parts, worn as they may be. Thanks again for consulting.

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
IF you're in a safe place to operate or have access to WRF dummies (impossible ;)) we can probably figure it out, but it takes a lot of cycling ammo and looking to do it.

Extractors are often blamed because they're often guilty AND easy to change.

Your rifle is a John Browning design that has features first seen in the Winchester Model 1890. He used a combination of bolt body movement and a carrier to control feed the rim under the extractor. The rim slides up the bolt face. The fit of the rim under the extractor determines the angle of the cartridge as it aims towards the chamber. Some of those designs had the cartridge in a 'tube' area of the carrier so it had no choice but to go in the chamber.

The cartridge carrier or lifter is a pivoted piece that operates from the slide to lift the cartridge from the level of the magazine tube, upwards to the level of the chamber. Look at the part that operates that lifter. Worn?
What does the rim of the cartridge hit on the left side to keep it centered in the bolt? The extractor is on the right side. Is there another extractor 'guide' piece on the left or a shelf in the bolt face? The rim of the case should be a snug fit between the extractor and that 'back-stop' part. The tip of the extractor hook should touch the side of the case just ahead of the rim and keep a live cartridge firm to the bolt.
It's not to hard to take the mainspring out of that gun. I'd do that if you're tempted to manipulate with live ammo. Otherwise DON'T, please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IF you're in a safe place to operate or have access to WRF dummies (impossible ;)) we can probably figure it out, but it takes a lot of cycling ammo and looking to do it.

Extractors are often blamed because they're often guilty AND easy to change.

Your rifle is a John Browning design that has features first seen in the Winchester Model 1890. He used a combination of bolt body movement and a carrier to control feed the rim under the extractor. The rim slides up the bolt face. The fit of the rim under the extractor determines the angle of the cartridge as it aims towards the chamber. Some of those designs had the cartridge in a 'tube' area of the carrier so it had no choice but to go in the chamber.

The cartridge carrier or lifter is a pivoted piece that operates from the slide to lift the cartridge from the level of the magazine tube, upwards to the level of the chamber. Look at the part that operates that lifter. Worn?
What does the rim of the cartridge hit on the left side to keep it centered in the bolt? The extractor is on the right side. Is there another extractor 'guide' piece on the left or a shelf in the bolt face? The rim of the case should be a snug fit between the extractor and that 'back-stop' part. The tip of the extractor hook should touch the side of the case just ahead of the rim and keep a live cartridge firm to the bolt.
It's not to hard to take the mainspring out of that gun. I'd do that if you're tempted to manipulate with live ammo. Otherwise DON'T, please.
JBelk, Great information, thank you for sharing with me. I'll do my study (safely) with your recommendations on what to look for. I do believe your reference to a potentially worn lifter rings true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts