Shooters Forum banner

Remington Model 581

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  kdub 
#1 ·
These are probably one of the best and most accurate .22 rifles that were ever made. Too bad they were discontinued and now usually command high prices. I was roaming the used gun racks in a gun shop today and found one in like new condition. The hang tag said $150.00, but I got it for less than that. On the way home I stopped at another gun shop and chatted with the owner. When I told him about the Model 581 his comment was that he sells them for $300.00. He wanted to know if my .22 rifle was for sale. I told him it was not for sale. Anyone else fond of this fine little rifle? All the best...
Gil

#3 ·
Hello, Gil,
Read your 2005 post on the Rem 581. I have had mine for over 20 years now. Dressed with a Weaver V22 scope. Right after I bought the rifle, when out squirrel hunting, the front sight fell off somewhere in the woods...heheh. Rather than replace the sight, bought the scope instead. Loaded with CCI 22CB shorts, this rifle plants all rounds in a ragged hole at 25 yards (no noise to bother neighbors). The most comfortable, accurate rifle I've ever owned. Very crisp trigger with no creep. Good to hear from a fellow
581 lover....GRIN...
Tony

#4 ·
I am in possession of a 581-S that belonged to my son. Picked it up for him in '97. Carries a Bushnell 4x scope. It has two 5 shot clips & one 10 shot. Great little rifle, don't think it has 200 rounds thru it. VERY accurate.

#5 · (Edited)
Remington 581

You did well buying the 581. I bought one for my son thirty years ago. It's still as accurate as ever and literally loves Winchester Super-X. I put a Leupold 3x9 rimfire on it for him and it's super accurate.

He's a USAF pilot, currently stationed in Okinawa, and has two boys of his own. He contacted me last year to say he needed another one so that each of the boys would have one (they're 4 and 6 years old). I was really lucky to find a gentleman in Florida who sold me his with an extra clip for $175. My son was really excited this Christmas as he brought the family home for Christmas and we got to shoot. The young fellows broke clay discs at 20 yards consistently (from the sandbags), and got a big kick out of scoring 25 yard targets. I, of course, was in hog heaven. Many thanks to the fine gentleman from Florida!

These are great rifles with excellent triggers and barrels. I believe they use the same barrelled action on the Remington 541-S, just an upgraded finish and a beautiful stock. Bet they don't shoot any better for about three times the price. I'd buy another one if I could find it, especially in left-hand!:)

#6 ·
Rem 581

[ Im not sure at the moment but i think the one i got from my dad is a 581.
i cant check at the moment my son is using it. If that is one in the same you are rite in saying its one of the sweetiest lil shooters iv had.
Also i was looking at one of the threads here and somone mentioned a link to a site that has owners mans and schematics with parts lists! im working on a Rem M12A and could use thw schematic without having to buy it like NUMERIC. any help would be highly praised.:D[

#8 ·
Mighty old thread, Jack...

#10 ·
Someone who clearly did a search online in 2012 and found this website, was here long enough to ask "how do I search online"; and not return again.
That is what we call a drive-by troll.

But Yes. You did correctly answer someone who isn't here, and who already knew how; to search for something online.;)

It was originally dug up by another drive-by, 10 days before you responded...... May be time to close out some old browser windows.

Cheers

Reactions: kdub
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.