Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Dad pasted away several years ago he willed me his Rem. 788 in 222 cal. that he had custome built.... Is it possible to have a gunsmith change the Calibur to something I could deer hunt with ?? .243, .308, 30-30, 35 rem.?
I would really like to use it for hunting...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
With the small bolt face, you're pretty well limited to a cartridge of similar size - .222 Magnum, .223 Remington and such for standard chamberings. You can have it rebarreled and chambered in various wildcat cartridges (any of the TCU's as an example). Take it to a gunsmith and see what he would recommend.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The 788 is an awesome and underrated action. A friend of mine rebarrels every one he gets his hands on to .223 Ackley Improved.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I love mine in 223. One other thing you have working against you in the 222 action is that I don't think the ejection port is big enough to use other cartridges in. All that being said, my grandfather killed a pile of deer using his 222. He'd shoot em in the neck and they'd drop like a sack of potatoes. Ya gotta be picky on your shots and know your limits if your going to do that, it works, but it isn't easy.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
If your dad's .222 is a shooter I'd consider leaving it alone. One of the most accurate factory rifles I've owned was a 788 in .222. 30 years later still kicking myself for trading it. Just for what it's worth, there may came a time you'd want a varmint or prediator rifle and it could fill that need nicely.

The last several years 788's are showing up at local gun shows with price tags in the $400 range. Not bad for a rifle that sold new for around a hundred dollars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts