Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow enthusiasts I am new here and am hoping you can help me identify what I believe is Remington rolling block. The patent date is hard to see but I think says 1801. The tang number says 1300 something. Anyone with any input would be much appreciated. I'll post pictures once I figure out how.
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument Wood
Table Wood Bottle Floor Flooring

·
Registered
716 Posts
Remington didn’t design the RB until the mid-1860s. Can you give us some additional information:

barrel length
caliber - as close as you can measure
receiver width

Do you have the action parts - hammer, breechblock, pins?

·
Premium Member
16,856 Posts
It is a rolling block action but the innards are missings. It's military as seen by the cavalry ring. Remington made many hundreds of thousands of them for foreign militaries in dozens of calibers. When I was a kid, they were $7.95 each in .43 Egyptian at the Army Surplus store. Ammo? "You might have to go to Egypt for that, son."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Remington didn’t design the RB until the mid-1860s. Can you give us some additional information:

barrel length
caliber - as close as you can measure
receiver width

Do you have the action parts - hammer, breechblock, pins?

2.25 to where it necks down and .45 diameter the barrel is 19 inches and the receiver is 1.3250inch (all rough measurements)
Also the martini looking action there is a logo that's like a bugle or trumpet with an "n" in the middle. Looks to be a rimfire cartridge.

·
Premium Member
16,856 Posts
That patent could be for a trigger that uses the upper end as a sear. The Rolling Blocks were competition for the Trap Door and Martini Henrys of the world. Many countries adopted them a service rifles. Hollyweird still uses them (and Trap Doors) when they need 'an old timey' rifle.
Remington made the Rolling Block in many different sizes from tiny, take-down rimfires to 10 ga. shotguns.
Rolling blocks depend on the strength of the cross pins of the block and hammer for breeching. Worn out RBs have loose pivot pins because the holes in the receiver have peened oblong.

Reactions: manp32810

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hello fellow enthusiasts I am new here and am hoping you can help me identify what I believe is Remington rolling block. The patent date is hard to see but I think says 1801. The tang number says 1300 something. Anyone with any input would be much appreciated. I'll post pictures once I figure out how. View attachment 105043 View attachment 105044
Many were later re-barreled to smokeless cartridges, as the Remington Rolling Block as on of the few black powder era rifles that made the transition to smokeless rather easily. So you'll find them in a number of military smokeless cartridges. Since we're western hemisphere most of those would be 7mm Mauser.

If that barrel is original, there's a ton of different cartridges you'll find them in.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The OP’s carbine is almost certainly a Model 1902, not an older “Egyptian” model. The patent date markings are clearly shown in the attached photo, the OP’s rifle is badly corroded. The caliber could be almost anything, many of these rifles were rebarreled because the receiver was stronger than previous models, being designed for smokeless pressures. Does he have any of the other action parts?
Font Wood Material property Rectangle Gas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The OP’s carbine is almost certainly a Model 1902, not an older “Egyptian” model. The patent date markings are clearly shown in the attached photo, the OP’s rifle is badly corroded. The caliber could be almost anything, many of these rifles were rebarreled because the receiver was stronger than previous models, being designed for smokeless pressures. Does he have any of the other action parts?
View attachment 105056
I just realized not all of the pictures uploaded

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,856 Posts
That is one crusty old Roller.

Your other action seems to be a Martini-Zeller system. More pictures could better ID it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's a 1902 smokeless action. I had one exactly like it. Have a machinist make you a set of pins out of grade 8 bolts. They will be stronger than the originals. The rest of the screws can probably be found locally or made as a last resort. Come to think of it I actually have an extra set of pins for one......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts