Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an old Remington 12 guage pump shotgun that was given to me, handed down from my grandfather. It looks to have had leather on the pump and on the top of the barrel, it has "Remington Arms Co, Ilion NY USA", next line says "Patents Feb 3, 1903, May 15, 1905. It is a bottom eject and on the bottom where it ejects, has what looks like the letter "U" and then below that the numbers "14240" and below that what looks like the number "16".. It's in pretty sad shape, but I'm wondering what model it is and if it's worth restoring or should it just be a Wall Hanger??

·
Registered
2 Posts
What Year?

Remington Owners,

Remington Year of Manufacture Codes maybe found on the barrel of your Remington rifle [or shotgun] on the left side, just forward of the receiver; the first letter of the Code is the month of manufacture, followed by one or two letters which are the year of manufacture. For shotguns with removeable barrels, the code will be valid for the manufacture of the barrel; maybe for the receiver, as barrels do get switched around.

According to the "Blue Book of Gun Values", the coding continues as follows:

Month Codes: [first letter]
B - L - A - C - K - P - O - W - D - E - R - X
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12

Year:______Code: [second (and third*) letters]
1930_______ Y
1931_______ Z
1932_______ A
1933_______ B
1934_______ C
1935_______ D
1936_______ E
1937_______ F
1938_______ G
1939_______ H

1940_______ J
1941_______ K
1942_______ L
1943_______ MMZ
1944_______ NN
1945_______ PP
1946_______ RR
1947_______ SS
1948_______ TT
1949_______ UU

1950_______ WW
1951_______ XX
1952_______ YY
1953_______ ZZ
1954_______ A
1955_______ B
1956_______ C
1957_______ D
1958_______ E
1959_______ F

1960_______ G
1961_______ H
1962_______ J
1963_______ K
1964_______ L
1965_______ M
1966_______ N
1967_______ P
1968_______ R
1969_______ S

1970_______ T
1971_______ U
1972_______ W
1973_______ X
1974_______ Y
1975_______ Z
1976_______ I
1977_______ O
1978_______ Q
1979_______ V

1980_______ A
1981_______ B
1982_______ C
1983_______ D
1984_______ E
1985_______ F
1986_______ G
1987_______ H
1988_______ I
1989_______ J

1990_______ K
1991_______ L
1992_______ M
1993_______ N
1994_______ O
1995_______ P
1996_______ Q
1997_______ R
1998_______ S
1999_______ T
2000_______ U
2001_______ W
2002_______ X

* the years 1943 though 1953 had double letters: ie, MM = 1943

As maybe seen, the year code letters duplicate; some knowledge of when the model was introduced should resolve the actual year of manufacture.

Remington owners: COPY this table to your Hard Drive......! !

another couple helpfull links: http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nviss/documents/MakeModelCodelist21.pdf

I recendly purchased a used Remington 700 BDL in a .270. From what I can understand that the rifle was manufactured in Oct. of 1975. It has "EZ" in the date code area then a mark, then a "6" What does the "6" mean?

·
Registered
2 Posts
How Old Is This Rifle

I recently purchased a Remington 700 BDL in a .270. The date code on the barrel is "EZ" which I understand that it was manufactured in Oct. of 1975. then there is a mark and then the number "6". Does anyone know what the "6" means?

·
Registered
1 Posts
6mm and don't know if the serial number is correct

I have a 6mm Model 7 and was looking at, what I believe, is the serial number. It was passed down from forfathers but did not match from the Code one of the repliers has said. I highly doubt that the Remington 1-800 number would help me since I am unsure whether the supposed serial number is correct or not. It says CN 7XXXXXX. Any help would be nice

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Remington 572

The code on the barrel is +RB8

I'm not having much luck in finding the man. date on the code lookup web sites.

Anyone out there that can help?

There is a heart shaped symbol on the right side of the barrel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've searched as best as I know how and can't find didilly about the date of manufacture on a Rem 700 I just bought. It's a 25-06, ADL, 24" barrel, NO LETTER preceding the serial number, bolt has a solid lug on the right side, cannot open bolt if safety is on. Has a brass insert on the forward sight and what looks like a brass surround (in the stock) on the forward action screw. No warning on the barrel. Serial number is #6691606. No letter.

Anybody?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think this serial number thing is a luck of the draw. I went to Remington's site, typed in XO as that's what's on the barrel and it came up with this...take your pick.

"Your firearm was manufactured on December 1994 (or 1977)"

Not happy with that I called them, gave them the serial number on the receiver and after a brief consultation with someone else she came back and told me 1979. So, now I have three possible dates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone I am new here but hope you can help me figure out the serial number on my Remington 700 custom build. Naturally I don't have the barrel date because I have a custom barrel but what is really weird is my serial number doesn't go along with any format I have seen here nor will it work in the "Remington Automatic Lookup" because my although serial number is 8 digits it does not start with 2 letters...it only has one and it is a "G", which is not even in BLACKPOWDERX so I am TOTALLY confused.

Here is my S/N - G66099XX

Can someone please help me figure this one out? :confused:

Thanks Much!!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
BLACKPOWDERX is not a part of the serial number, it is hand stamped on the barrel.

~~~

Not doubting you, but "G" is commonly used with Winchester brand Model 70's. I'm not sure if Remington has the "G" prefix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BLACKPOWDERX is not a part of the serial number, it is hand stamped on the barrel.

~~~

Not doubting you, but "G" is commonly used with Winchester brand Model 70's. I'm not sure if Remington has the "G" prefix.
Thanks for your reply and please don't think I am trying to be a jerk in any way when I say this but I know of at least one Remington 700 short action that has a "G" prefix in the serial number...because it is on my custom Tac-Ops Echo 51 rifle. But, I thought it was kind of strange too when I couldn't get it to work in that "Remington Automatic Lookup" and as far as the BLACKPOWDERX, I apologize I guess I misunderstood how it works. I thougt you used the first digit/letter in the serial number to plug into the BLACKPOWDERX to get the month of manufacture. I will try to add a couple of photos for you. Sorry, all I had was my phone camera so they are not very clear so hopefully you can make it out but I promise that first digit is a "G" in the serial number in the second photo and I even double checked it after you said that because I was already really wondering why it would not show up when I plugged it in on that "Remington Automatic Lookup" so now I am REALLY confused and wondering what the heck is going on. And as you can also see in the first one it is stamped "Remington Model 700".

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Thanks for your reply and please don't think I am trying to be a jerk in any way ...
Nope, didn't think that at all. I've just seen guys with multiple rifle have a brain fart and quote incorrectly.

~~~

If you have the original barrel, try to locate the date code. It should be near the receiver, and hand stamped. IIRC, about 10% of the guns are not stamped.

Yeah, Remington's serial number search system sucks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have the original barrel, try to locate the date code. It should be near the receiver, and hand stamped. IIRC, about 10% of the guns are not stamped.

Yeah, Remington's serial number search system sucks.
I don't have the original barrel and to be honest I don't know if it actually came as a barreled action originally because I am assuming Mike just buys the actions from Remington because they are totally custom built rifles and he uses all custom barrels, stocks, etc. except for the Reminton action and the original style triggers which he totally reworks both of these into something ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!! In fact, this action is now smoother than ANY of the custom actions I have ever owned on my competition rifles or have ever seen on ANY custom action. I used to think the stock Remington action were pretty decent for production actions but after gettting this rifle and seeing /feeling just how AMAZING they can really be I would take this Remington 700 action over any 5 custom actions. It is truly that good when he gets done with them. Anyway, sorry, I didn't mean to get side-tracked there and there was actually a reason I brought that up and it is because I was just wondering if Remington actually produces some of the 700 actions wiith no intentions of ever becoming a barreled action, at least not within the stock Remingtons but instead they do sell them to custom builders as just an action, as Savage sells their target actions?? Was just thinking maybe if they did or still do, maybe these actions get a completely different serial number prefix, kind of like different manufacturers do on their TALO models or "Distributor Exclusive" models? Don't have any idea...just thinking out loud. Just makes me want to know even more now than before...LOL.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think there were G-prefix guns in '05 thru '08, but I'm not sure of the beginning and ending dates.
Well...that would probably be it then because, although I am not sure exactly when he started the build of my rifle because I actually bought it slightly used from the original owner, I do know it would have been within that timeframe as I am thinking he actually took possession of it sometimes in 2009. But, I don't know exactly how long it takes from the time he starts a build until he finishes it and I don't know if he builds every rifle from start to finish before starting the next one or if he builds in small batches, say starting 5 rifles and completing each component/build stage for all 5 rifles before moving to the next component/build stage. It would make more sense to me he would do the latter but then again, I am not a custom rifle builder. But, if that is the case he very likely started the rifle in 2008 because I know for a fact he does not build a large quantity each year, which is one reason it takes 2+ years to get it once you pay your deposite. He may have also even had the action well before that so this would definitely put it in the timeframe you mentioned. I was reading where you can call Remington direct with your S/N and they will tell you when it was built so I may try to find that number and call them to just see what they can tell me. If I get through and have any luck I will post it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think there were G-prefix guns in '05 thru '08, but I'm not sure of the beginning and ending dates.
You hit the nail right on the head Mainspring and I must say that Remington sure makes that process VERY, VERY quick and painless!! NO being on hold...NO pushing 2 for English...NO B.S.!!! Just dial 1-800-243-9700...push 7 for historic information or age of firearm...push 2 for age of firearm...polite lady answers, looks up my S/N and within seconds I found out the year of manufacture for my action/rifle was 2006!!!

Thanks again for your help with this and hopefully this will make it a little easier for someone else out there who may have a firearm like mine that doesn't fall into the norm.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts