Shooters Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington 34

My model 34 has a serial number of 1194. There is no petent date. It says patent pending. There are no date marks as described here in the forum. Any ideas of date of the weapon?

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
You'll have to contact the Remington Museum for information on the M34, but with 'pat. pend' on the gun would usually mean first year production.

"Date Codes" weren't used during that time, I don't think.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I recently bought what I think is a Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem. Walnut, checkered, slim 22 in barrel, and hinged floor plate. Left side of barrel is B then a 59 and serial range is C6336xxx. Bluebook says this is 2004??? Is it a Mountain Rifle for sure??

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Check the above Remington reference for the DATE CODE on the left rear of the barrel. Two letters one of them will be one of these B L A C K P O W D E R X Jan. to Dec. The second letter will be the year.

The Mountain rifle was introduced in 1984 with a SMOOTH bolt knob in 270, 280 and 30-06. The skinny, 22 inch barrel and very trim stock gives them away easily.

According to Lacy book of the Remington M700, the Mountain rifle has a black fore-end tip without a white line. In '87, they were offered in 243, 7-08 and 308.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have two remingtons, a 721 in 30-06 and a 722 that was originally .222 but the PO re-chambered it for .223. I saw this thread the other night and decided to see when they were both made. had done the 721 before but forgot. I purchased the 721 about 1976 and the 722 about 3 months ago. Surprized, they both were manufactured the same month - June, and the same year - 1951. Closest i will ever come to a matched set of firearms

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just picked up a Model 721 in the 30-06. I know it was made in Sept. of 1949 based on the date code.
Is there a way to find out history for the gun using the serial number?

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Remington serial numers mean nothing except by series that sometimes covers a dozen years. Recievers are made and warehoused until needed. A 'gun' is not made until the barrel goes on and the date code tells when that happened. There were 40 X rifles made out of 722 actions many YEARS after the 722 was out of production.

·
Registered
3 Posts
no letters on the left side of the barrel of my Remington 870!

I recently purchased an older Remington 870 shotgun from the estate of a close friend and neighbor who had served in the US Navy and then went into law enforcement and became a FBI Agent in metropolitan Detroit Michigan for many years prior to his retirement.
On inspecting the shotgun's receiver, the left side of the receiver above the trigger assembly is stamped, "Remington Wingmaster Model 870 (and below) S222913V".
There are NO letters on the left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver.
The wood has nice graining on both the butt stock and forearm, with the forearm having vertical 'gripper' cuts (perpendicular to the bore) and the rear stock has a red rubber Remington recoil pad on the aft end.

Anyone able to tell me the approximate age of this beautiful new addition to my firearms collection?

Rustymusket

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
You can roughly go by checkering style and the fore-end style coupled with the butt pad. I'm looking for the link to all the old catalogs on line and will post when found.

Barrels sold as 'extras' many times didn't have date codes. The 'rat-tail' fore-end, butt pad on a 2 3/4" gun and possible law enforcement use tells me that was probably a 'riot' gun that's had a sporting barrel put on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Age of my Rem 870 Wingmaster

The Rem 870 Wingmaster I've purchased came with two barrels: a short barrel with sights (perhaps for greeting yninvited visitors?) and a longer ribbed barrel for sporting purposes.
rustymusket

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
Has either barrel got a date code stamp? The sighted barrel is most likely the original barrel for that gun. The sporting barrel was bought seperately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remington 870 serial numbers

When I purchased the shotgun with the extra ribbed barrel, it was my impression the shorter barrel (with rifle sights) was the 'business' barrel, as the original owner had been in Federal law enforcement (FBI) and the intent of the weapon for for home defense.
In looking closely at both barrels, the ribbed barrel DOES have a letter code, "KU", so it appears that barrel was manufactured in 5/71.
Thx!
rustymusket

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a remington mod. 760 in 30-06 and can not understand the barrel codes.
The left side reads 5 BJ &. I understand the jan. 1962 , and i saw somewhere that the 5 is employee
sale, but am unsure about the (&).
Any ideas? thank you gunman400

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
The various stamps have much more meaning to the company than to the customer. Call it an 'inspection stamp' and figure you're 99% correct. Many work stations have a stamp applied when the operation is done. It could be as simple as an inspector making sure the barrel extension was flush with the barrel.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts