Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search but no luck. I had a 3-9x40 mounted on this gun but now have a 6-18x50 bushnell that its going to wear. I set the new scope in the low rings last night and the front objective hits the barrel, just barely though. It sits flush in the rings but theres no way to turn the AO. I new i would need new rings but my question is do you think medium rings would work or would I need high ones. Keep in mind I am going to put Bultler creek flip up caps on it as well.

Thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
Check the Brownell's catalog. The reason I say this is that if you dig sometimes they have the dimensions of the rings listed, that is, how high the bottom of the scope tube is off the base.

You can shim the existing rings a bit, just to get the difference required. Sounds like it is very close.

As an aside, I had a scope on my .257 Roberts once that needed "just a bit" more clearance as you describe (same issue, AO clearance). Shimmed it with some thin aluminum and that worked till I traded the scope off to a guy that needed the AO feature more than I did.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can shim the existing rings a bit, just to get the difference required. Sounds like it is very close.

As an aside, I had a scope on my .257 Roberts once that needed "just a bit" more clearance as you describe (same issue, AO clearance). Shimmed it with some thin aluminum and that worked till I traded the scope off to a guy that needed the AO feature more than I did.
its not going to take much. can you explain a little more on the shimming and "thin piece of aluminum"?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,710 Posts
A little square (or rectangle) that will sit on the bearing surface of the bottom ring, and below the scope tube. You don't try to fill the entire bottom ring surface with the shim as it would be too narrow at the top for the scope tube to go back into it. Maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of the half-circle that the bottom ring forms. Of course the piece gets formed to the inner ring contour, which is why you use aluminum or something soft. Mash it in pretty good with your thumb or a dowel rod the same diameter as the scope tube to get a nice shape before you clamp the scope in.

Make sense? I have no way to post a picture right now, probably someone else has one. Be sure to use the same thickness front and rear.

Recoil shouldn't cause problems with lighter calibers as the upper ring should still make pretty good contact. You can get aluminum shim stock in different thicknesses; sounds like maybe you need 0.030" to 0.050" or so ....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts