Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a delema and am hoping that you can help me. I just bought a 300 win mag  stainless steel sako. I haven't even seen it yet. I have a 3x9 50mm redfield to put on top of it. Doesn't sound like much of a problem yet, does it. here is the delema. I want to put open site on it and have the scope removable. I have heard that there are removable bases that will allow you to do this. Is this true? or does the base get in the line of view of the site? if not. How much would something like this cost. would some brands be better then other? any suggestions would be great. My friend said that you could most like know and be able to help me out. I look forward to hearing what you have to say. thanks for your time and expertise. -J

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
bomberj,
There are a number of removable ring systems out there that are supposed to return to zero.  I was very doubtful of the concept for a long time, but had a Weatherby Alaskan that I had sights on and put some Warne Quik Detach rings on it.  I'm not sure what Warne claims, but after reattaching the scope (on 4 seperate occassions) it returned to zero every time.  I never trusted it as such, and would have a hard time trusting any type system without proof firing to make sure, but there are several out there that claim just that.  My only experience was was the Warne's.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,440 Posts
There is a remarkably inexpensive route to get what you want.

The standard Weaver tip-off rings return to zero very well.  As a plus, the bases 'usually' have a deep enough trough in the middle so that you can see iron sights.

I have all my .22's set up this way.  Works like a champ - if you can find a Weaver base for your gun.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Bomber;
 Don't laugh to loud but try this web site:
   http://www.snipercountry.com/
 Thes guys on this site talk about sites and bases all the time.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have used Warne QD rings for many years and have been completely satisfied with them.  Every set I own, Premier and Maxima, all return to absolute zero every time.  The good news for you is they make a set of Premier QD rings for the Sako rifle which fit the factory Sako bases.  If your rifle does not have built in bases then I am sure they can provide a base that will fit your hole spacing.  You can check them out at
Warne Scope Mounts

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Sako bases are a milled part of the reciever. Where you may have trouble is comming up with a set of rings high enough for the 50mm objectve lens scope. That scope has to be mounted so high to clear anything let alone a rear iron sight. i think this is a problem for real not imagined.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts