Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I already know the answer to this, but hey I will throw the question out there. I have been pulling some bullets on some ammo I no longer need. Can use the bullets and powder for something else. So now I have primed cases, that I can either resize or toss them in the trash. I am posing this question, can you remove live unfired primers from shell casings safely? My common sense is telling me nope, resize them. If I resize them I will have to pull the decapper pin out of the die.

Am I correct on this.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
674 Posts
Go slow wear safety glasses. I've not deprmied a lot of cases but I have done it safely without any of them going "pop".

I use a Lee universal decapping die.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have removed live primers from cases, even live crimped primers from military cases, since about 1965 and have NEVER had one fire.
But that is me. I am nuts. Proceed at your own level of caution, or not.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I've driven live primers out, using my resizing die and decapping pin, but it's not a process I would recommend to anyone. Far better to either removing the pin, resize the case and load as normal, or just chamber and fire, if there aren't that many of them. You aren't going to be able to reuse them if you pull them out, so just leave 'em in the cases and load 'em up again.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
As above, if you decap slowly and wear eye protection for the unlikely event, you'll be OK. I've done this dozens of times and even used the decapped primers again with no problem.

·
Registered
11,969 Posts
Go slow wear safety glasses. I've not deprmied a lot of cases but I have done it safely without any of them going "pop".

I use a Lee universal decapping die.
I've done the same thing. Mine is RCBS decapping dies. At least if a primer goes off the case won't be enclosed in a sizing die which could have painful consquences.

I've never done any resizing with the decapping pin out. Don't see why it wouldn't work though.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,212 Posts
Just punch the darn things out. Primers are like dynamite. Just pushing on them won't set them off, it takes a sharp sudden blow.

Try squeezing one in a vice. Nothing happens.

All you're doing when you push out a live one is displacing the priming compound. I doubt it would go bang if reused. I haven't tried reusing them so I don't know for sure.

RJ

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have deprimed several dozen also with a lee universal deprime die and like kdub stated they generally can be reused. I have two small plastic boxes on my bench, one for small and one for large decapped primers. I don't even bother worrying about what they came from (rifle or pistol) i just put them in the boxes and use them for round ball gallery type loads in rifles and shoot cans in the back yard with them.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just reload with the old primer in with good results. When I do pop them out I just do it like I would a spent primer, I have never had one pop on me and even if it did whats the worst that can happen. I just have never seen one do so yet. You are coming from the wrong direction at a slow rate of speed compared to a firing pin. don't over think the problem.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Did you ever use the Lee Loaders? the ones that you loaded with a mallet and had to beat the primers in and out? I learned to use a glove because at times a primer would go off while seating it. We called it the "tap and bang method'. It didn't hurt, but blackened your fingers a bit and scared the daylights out of you.

To that measure, I've never had one go off from my press.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Back when my brother and I were learning how to reload we would sometimes get the primer in backwards. Yeah, embarrassing. But we just deprimed 'em real slow with no ill effects. We just tossed the said primers in a tub of oil.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Primers

I have seated an untold number of primers upside down when I first started reloading. Generally happened the last few primers in the tube. I just run them back thru the sizing die and deprime them again. Never had an issue with one popping.

I also used the wrong primer one time and had to deprime about 50 cases. I just ran them thru the sizing die again with no issues.

If one did go off I doubt it would hurt anything. May want to use some eye protection.

Darin

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
The no risk method is snap the cap in the chamber with it pointed in a safe direction and then decap.
Pay a little more attention to what sportclay had to say. Is a very safe method.

Other posters are correct also. A gentle push will work fine. Just be as safe as you know how to be when doing it!

Cheezywan

·
Banned
89 Posts
Ruger Fan,

Seems that every time I'm testing for new loads I end up with loaded cases. I reclaim bullets and powder for use in plinking loads. Then I use a RCBS Universal Decapping and verrrry sloooowly remove the primers. I'll admit that I'm some what of a chicken and don't like to do it, but I've never had one go off. I put the primers in a can and fill it with water. I let them soak for a week or so.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I have a question for all these folks who drive the live primers out and dispose of them...

Why wouldn't you just pull the bullets and powder, partially resize the case, (with the decapping pin removed or backed off) and set aside the brass to be loaded again? Why drive the primers out at all when there is nothing wrong with them and will serve their intended function by just dropping the powder and seating a bullet? The one time I drove live primers out it was because I had seated the wrong type and wasn't comfortable using them. That's one mistake I haven't made since, but I've pulled bullets quite a few times. When I do, I just leave the primers and proceed as explained above...can't see a reason to do it any other way.

·
Banned
89 Posts
Broom,

I guess I'm a nut for safety. I don't like storing cases with the primers in. Just another one of my quirks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts