Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removing the bolt saftey from a Rossi R-92 - how?

I have read here that some had removed the bolt saftey and installed a plug. I would like detailed instructions on how to do that as I have ordered a stainless R-92 in 44MAG with a 24" octagon barrel and would like to plug that saftey.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
FYI - The issue bolt safety simply slides out/up, after the retainer pin is tapped out from the side of the bolt's locking lug recess - doable by simply opening the bolt & laying the rifle on one side.

CAUTION ! The safety shaft has a sring/ball plunger that will fly free when it's raised - take care. (It's not needed for the replacement plug.)

I had decided to get rid of the bolt top lawyer safety on my Rossi .357 - wings and all - so heres how I did it. YMMV.

In my scrounge box, I ran across a couple of Remington 1100 issue crossbolt safety buttons, that I had kept after converting some fellas guns to Giant Head or left-hand safeties.
Lacking one of those, any round piece of steel/drill rod or a machine screw will suffice.

I chucked the end of one into my hand drill.

Then, I started up the drill, and held the safety against a file for awhile

Now that it's turned down, I'll see if it fits a lawyer hole

I then filed a notch for the retaining pin

And cut off the part that won't stuff into the lawyer hole

Almost "off"

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
HOUSTON - WE HAVE SEPARATION ! !

File down the teat, off the cut & polish it smooth

NOW it fits in the lawyer hole, much better !

Done, except for bluing - IF wanted.

FWIW - I later D/T'd a 6-48 hole in the middle of this plug, and fitted a Skinner LoPro peep sight, which easily zeroed using the issue Rossi front sight blade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts