Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows a source for repair information/manuals for early model H&R 999 Sportsman revolvers. Mine has badly worn bearing surfaces on cylinder and barrel yoke. I doubt that I will be able to find replacement parts but even if I do I need some guidance on installation and fitting. If parts can't be found maybe original parts can be repaired somehow but again I am flying blind right now.

mike

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
There are a few parts left but very few gunsmiths will take them in. They can tie up more time than they're worth.
Check Jack First and Numrich for parts. Don't be surprised the parts are 'wrong' for your gun. H&R changed some models in mid stream and generally made it hard to work on the guns.

A local 'smith got high-centered on an H&R not long ago. I suggested he contact Brownell's tech guy to see if anyone is specializing in these guns. You could do the same.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
They were poorly made to start with. some models had a plastic yoke inside; and that 1960s plastic just died with time. Made a metal one to replace the parts.

E-parts did have pats a few years ago. guessing a cylinder and yoke will cost you more than you could buy a decent used one.

Fitting a new cylinder and yoke??/ like Belk said...way too much time, even if you are doing it your self.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Ebay has been a source of oddball gun parts for me in the past, even stuff that Numrich didn't have-be prepared to spend premium $$$ though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
There is quite a supply of spare parts available to fix many of the mechanical problems in the old H&R revolvers, like replacing the plastic yoked mainspring rod, cylinder lever spring, sear, trigger spring, etc., but unfortunately the parts you are looking for will be difficult to find & if you do they may not be as good as what you have. Like others have said, you would probably be better off selling yours as a parts gun & using that money to buy one in good condition. 999's in excellent to good condition are for sale by the hundreds on line. I have a dozen H&R's from the 40's, 50's, & 60's and other than the plastic yoke main spring issue in the 60's all have performed flawlessly. They made a decent "workingman's" gun that was affordable. The 999 was their top of the line, so if it has been shot to the point it has the wear problems you describe, it's time to retire it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts