Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the new rifle out to the range yesterday to sight it in. It's an M77 Hawkeye S.S. in 308. The first thing I noticed was the horrid trigger. I'm looking for a replacement that's a drop-in with no fitting required. I want to be able to adjust pull and creep. What brands should I look at?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Might want to give Ruger a call and explain it to them.

That trigger is supposed to break like glass. Isn't it adjustable?

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Have you tried to just clean and lube AE? I've noticed that seems to help some on most of my most recent purchases. Break-in period after that.

Keep oil on all moving parts for awhile.

New firearm is not like a new car anymore. Gotta finish it yourself it seems?

Cheezywan

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The LC6 is new, non-adjustable, and noted for being hard and long. A couple of times I had to stop pulling, take another breath, and start over.
I just bought a Ruger Hawkeye Ultralight in .308 last week, and got a chance to fire it a couple of days ago. I didn't notice the trigger being "hard" to pull and the accuracy is fine for a light weight rifle. I got a Leupold 2-7X33m/m "Heavy Plex" scope mounted on my Ruger, for woods & Brush hunting. You need to just "break-in" your new rifle as suggested. I noticed my rifle is a lot smoother after a few firing secessions. Besure to keep your bore clean too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In case the clean-up and more use doesn't solve the problem, is there a drop-in replacement trigger available? The only two that I've found are Timney and Spec-Tech but they appear to require some fitting. What does this involve?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
In case the clean-up and more use doesn't solve the problem, is there a drop-in replacement trigger available? The only two that I've found are Timney and Spec-Tech but they appear to require some fitting. What does this involve?
I had a Gunsmith install a Timney trigger on an older Ruger Model 77 in .270. also I glassbeded the barrel & action. Made a real difference inthat my average 5-shot groups @ 100 yards are almost always .750" sometimes smaller. I use 130 grain bullets & IMR-4350 powder. I also took my new Ruger M-77 "Ultralight" Hawkeye .308 this morning and shot it once at a plastic milk bottle @ 100 yards and hit it dead center. I used a 150 grain bullet factory load. My suggestion is to clean-up your Ruger and shoot it once more before you replace anything.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Fairly important to keep all moving parts "wet" with oil during a break-in. Idea is to get a "slurry" going so the parts mate together better than the factory allowed during QC.

Equally important to flush that stuff out and start over from time to time.
You should be able to "feel" a difference within a hundred rounds or so if its working or not(+/-). Can also "see" what is flushed and use as a guide.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's my project for tomorrow. I'll flush it out over a paper towel and see what's there. I may go to the range again Thursday and put another 40 rds of NATO through it. The DAG goes into the brass barrel but the Win is saved for reloading.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
that's interesting, they show two differant triggers, one each for the Mark II's and one for the Hawkeye.
i was under the impression though that the triggers are the same. when the LC6 trigger first came out it actualy came on some of the later model Mark II's before the Hawkeyes hit the shelves. so i wonder if the sear is slightly diferant between the two models too? otherwise why would they need two differant aftermarket triggers?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.