Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd pass on this info about replacement toggles for the older Lee "O" Challenger press. I broke one of the aluminum toggles on my 4-5 year old "O" challenger press for the third time last week. Curious, I phoned Lee to inquire if the steel toggle system on the newer breechlock 'O' press would work on my older model one. Answer was YES, but needed 6 parts to do a replacement. Cost for these parts and shipping for them was $14.50 These parts solved the only problem I've had with my Lee press.

·
Registered
43 Posts
just take the boken parts to a machinest and let him make one out of aluminum.I did this a fewa years ago and haven't looked back.heck I still use the littel press everytime I load.but hey you did get it fixed.but would pass my way of fixing the press to anyone.the solid aluminum is hard to break.

·
Super Moderator
13,502 Posts
He may have use 6061 T6, which is good aircraft grade aluminum stock and widely available and used in many shops? The Original part is a casting that won't have the same yield strength. The issue for anyone who doesn't know a tool maker who will work for beer, though, is the several hundred dollars worth of machine shop time. The steel for $14.50 will beat that for most.

Huffmanite,

Does the steel design hang onto the handle any more firmly than the original aluminum casting does? Mine's always working loose.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steel design toggles should solve problem of handle working loose, which is why I broke the aluminum toggle. I'd not notice handle shifting, resulting in uneven pressure of handle in toggle. With new parts, your old handle is now located on side of toggle assembly and its shaft will be squeezed into a notch on toggle by a bolt and a part Lee calls the lever clamp.

Lee Part numbers needed to convert old challenger "O" press

OF3221........Ram pin step
OF3613........Lever Clamp
OF3609.......1 3/16 steel washer
FO2113....... 1 1/4 5/16-18 Bolt
OF2853....... New Toggle (you need two of this one each of above)

note the bolt has FO instead of OF like other parts, this is how it is on my Lee Invoice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts