Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! I'm new to this forum, and would like some advice. I've got a Browning 1886 Carbine that I love everything about except the sights and the curved buttplate. I can live with a slip-on recoil pad, but the factory sights are terrible. I simply cannot see them well enough for accurate shooting except in bright sunlight. Who makes the best traditional-looking replacement rear sight that is easy to visually acquire? While you're at it, how about the best receiver sight, should I elect to go that route? I'm hesitant to "drill and tap" this fine rifle unless there is not a good, open sight alternative for my 55 year-old eyes. FYI, I'm a 100 yard max kinda guy...never more if I can help myself, often much less (average shot distance 50-70 yards). Thanks

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You can get a tang sight from either Marble's or Lyman for the 1886. If you opt to go that route, the Marble's is more expensive but has the windage adjustment built in it so you don't have to mess with the front sight. The Lyman is about $83 and the Marble's is $125 from Brownells. That would probably be the best sight picture you'll get without drilling holes in your gun. I've never used a tang sight on a rifle as powerful as the 1886, so I don't know if the recoil would be a consideration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't think the tang sight approach would fit well with my style of hunting and shooting, which typically involves a lot of stalking through brush with quick, often unanticipated shot opportunities at fleeing game. Although I'm guessing here, the fragile-looking design of the tang sight, coupled with the probable requirement to keep the sight in the down position while busting-through brush would be a problem for me. I'm also a little concerned with the tang sight versus heavy recoil versus my eye and cheek during a quick, off-hand shot from a less-than-ideal shooting stance. In any event, what I'm looking for is something like Marble's semi-buckhorn rear sight with the white, eye-catching diamond-shaped reference, coupled with a replacement front blade with a white bead. Unfortunately, since the Marble's rear sight is offered in two different overall lengths, and three different heights, I'm hesitant to "guess" which one to order to match the existing front blade. Likewise, if the front blade can be replaced (and I'm not sure that it can without having one hand-made to fit the arachic-styled slot and pin arrangement) what height would be needed ? Hopefully, somebody out there has been through all this with a Browning 1886 Carbine and can save me some grief. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
554 Posts
If it's got a tang safety, I think you have to drill and tap one hole. (e.g. http://www.columbiaprecision.com/installation.htm)

The problem with the original Brownchesters sights is that they are a small, square notch in back, with a small, round brass bead up front. It's hard to get a consistent sight picture, especially in sunlight with the glint from the brass moving about.

It really needs a blade up front to match the rear notch. I'm going to try a short (original height) AO Systems front blade (w/white line) to fix the mismatch.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You should be able to measure your existing sight heights to determine what replacement sights to order. You can measure the dovetails as well to make sure you know what you're getting/need. You could call Brownells on this matter, they are pretty helpful when it comes to this sort of deal. They have been for me at least.

The tang sight can be very fast if you take the screw in aperture out, and I don't worry about it getting folded, but the recoil may be an issue. Maybe someone who has used one in here can comment.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,990 Posts
As suggested, the Brownell's catalog is chuck full of open sights, both front and back, that can be installed in the standard dovetails. Take a look and take your pick!

www.brownells.com

BTW - Welcome to the board!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts