Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time poster so i am not sure if this is where I should be posting this.

Two weeks ago some friends of mine asked me to be on their team in a trap league. I had never shot trap, had always wanted to, but new that my mom still had her old trap gun so I figured why not. So last weekend my mom and I went out to the local club so i could at least get a couple rounds in before i had to shoot two league rounds that sunday. I figured i should at least have an idea of what i was doing and also the etiquette/process of a trap line.

One of her friends brought out her late husbands BT-99 plus to let me try and offered to let me borrow it for the league. So i took her up on the offer and haven't looked back. The first two rounds on Saturday where 5 and 6 out of 25. On sunday at league i shot 16 and 18. Yesterday practicing again with my mom i shot 17, 21, 22. And today in league was 19, 18. I never thought i would enjoy this as much as I am.

Now here is where my issue comes in. Today, after I took the third shot of my first round, the front sight bead went missing. It must have flew off on that shot, and I couldn't find it due to the 5 inches of snow on the ground and the bead being ivory. I am going to drive up to the nearest big city after work Monday to get some shells and look around into getting the sight replaced. Although i am not feeling lucky that any one is going to have one. I noticed on brownings website, that the plus and regular bt-99 us the same part number. My question is if I end up having to order the part from browning, is it something that i would be able replace myself? Being that it is not my gun, i would rather not leave it with someone i don't know in a city 45 miles away if I can help it.

The serial on it is 55089nz669 so i think it is a 1991 year. As far as i can tell, it is stock except I don't know what company the choke tube is.

Any help you could give a newbie would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for the length of the post.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Most shotgun barrels with a bead on the end have that bead simply screwed into a threaded hole in the end of the barrel. If your sight simply flew off while shooting, it had probably unscrewed itself over time. Look where the sight was and if there is nothing in the hole, that would indicate that the bead had simply unscrewed as I described. If it broke off you have a little more difficult problem but that is not the likely scenario here. The new bead you buy will simply screw into the threaded hole where the old one was. Before screwing it in, put a very small dab of red loctite on the threaded stem of the new bead. Use a very small amount, you don't want it getting into the inside of the barrel, although some might get in there anyway...don't worry about it, just don't want too much in there. After screwing the new bead in, tighten it up a LITTLE, not too much. The red loctite will hold it. After the bead is screwed in, get a cleaning patch and wipe any excess red loctite out of the inside of the barrel before it sets up and gets hard. You'll have several minutes before this even starts to happen so don't worry about that happening if you clean it out as soon as you're done. This isn't really a very difficult thing to do so don't let it bother you too much. If you can put a screw into a threaded hole you have all the skills necessary to do this job. Glad you're enjoying shooting. Be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Brownells or Midway can probably help you too. Both have websites. Brownells offers tools to help reset beads because they are so tiny and hard to work with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
it should fit fine. you need to get some RED lock tight at an auto store. and a battery or electric drill with a hand tight type of chuck. YOU DONT USE THE DRILL POWER, just the chuck. Screw the bead in -no lock tight - and see how much is inside barrel. take a flat file and file till its very close. then put the lock tite and snug with the chuck. you dont need to tighen it much but just good snug . let it set over night. check the next day for any part that is inside barrel and use a chain saw file to remove the pin. dont run it into the barrel. a piece of tape on the front of the file will help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the replies. I ordered the part from browning and will use the tips for installation. Lucky for me, on this gun the sight screws in to the rib so it should be a little easier than into the barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts