Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back Jack posted a method of getting your lube flowing without having to purchase a heater.
  You just take a 3/8 or 1/4 inch piece of aluminum a little wider than your sizer and about 10inches long, drill a couple of holes to mount your sizer on it and borrow the wife's iron. Sit the iron on the aluminum, turn it on, and within no time the lube is flowing.
  I just tried it a few days ago for the first time with some .45 cal bullets and it worked great.

So thanks for the tip Jack. I figured I should let you all know how it turned out. The wife even got a kick out of it.

God bless
Kevin

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Kevin:
You're welcome.  Just wondering what lube you used and how hot you ran it?  I put a thermometer in the lube resevoir and pack a bit of cotton batting around the top.  105°F is about right for Orange Magic.  Glad it didn't cause any domestic hostility.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a heat gun to get things started.  It is handy in the winter in the cold garage for soft lube or getting the heater up to temp on hard lube.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jack and Gus-

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. It has been a hectic week. The lube was LEE NRA FORMULA ALOX BEESWAX MIX and since I didn't use a thermometer I have no idea how hot it was.

I was probably running it a bit too hot since the lube would squirt out between the die and the base of the bullet unless I ran them through very fast and tuned the heat down. It will take a little expertimenting to figure out the optimum setup. According to the Midway USA technical data this lube requires no heat but given all the trouble I had with my sizer squirting SPG lube out of its bottom I didn't want to take the chance of putting it under too much pressure and blowing another seal.

Another thing I notice on the Midway site is that there are three diferent companies making what appears to be the same formula lube with %50 Alox 2138F and %50 beeswax. Lee says you don't need heat for theirs,  Javelina says their melting point is 190F and not to use it indoors due to the Alox and Lyman says their melting point is 130F with no Alox waring. Not sure what to make of all that.

Have you tried any homemade lubes yet?

God bless
Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts