Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 500 new Starline 45 Colt cases. After belling a bunch of them I loaded up about 30. I noticed that it was much easier to seat the bullets than usual (obviously the inside case diameter was greater than that of my old resized cases). I am wondering if I should run the other new cases through my resizing die before loading to give greater neck tension. I use a Redding Profile Crimp Die. I went out and shot these loads and the accuracy and velocity seemed to be normal and the extreme spread was less than usual so I am doubting that running the cases through the resizing die would help. Thanks, Brian C.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,320 Posts
If the bullet seats easier, then the case neck tension is a little less.  You didn't say what load you were using these cases for.  If it's a 'light' load then you may not notice any difference.  If it's the 300+gr. loads, then there is an increased chance for a bullet to jump crimp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been sizing all the brass I buy for years after the same thing happened to me. (No case tension on the bullet.) Having a progressive press on the bench makes case prep a snap, even if you intend to weigh every charge and seat & crimp on the single stage.

I've got a Dillon 650 so I can dump 20 rounds of .45 Colt into the clear plastic tube ( I don't want the electric case feeder) and turn out 100 rounds of sized & belled brass in minutes. Very nice timesaver.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts