Shooters Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
I understand the Lee collet dies work very well, but your goal to start was to have ammo more reliable than neck sized only. That's what complicated matters! :)

Your 22-250 had an oversized shoulder that 'pooched out' (gunsmith tech term) the shoulder when squashed inward, which put so much stress on the press it sprung a few thousandths so the case didn't get all the way into the die. Another case of tolerance stacking with oversize chamber and possibly an undersized die. I can't stand such mysteries and tend to cast, measure and agonize until it is KNOWN what went wrong.
For a time in the '80s, Redding 22-250 AI dies were .005 too small for the reamer I was using to rechamber a BUNCH of rifles. I sent them cast of chambers and dies and they decided they were the ones that had to change and did. They replaced more than 30 FL dies and I lapped several more.

langenc-- Moly disulphide works better than graphite but then I saw you liked cases clean. Graphite tumbles off but MDS doesn't. That's why my hands are totally black after a day in the ground squirrel pastures. I neck size only using bird shot and MDS about every fifth loading. Moly impregnates the brass making it slicker than normal. I also shoot moly coated bullets. One year, we were shooting near a flooded meadow with clouds of mosquitoes and deer flies. It only takes a few slaps with MDS hands to look REALLY weird. :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I understand the Lee collet dies work very well, but your goal to start was to have ammo more reliable than neck sized only. That's what complicated matters!

Your 22-250 had an oversized shoulder that 'pooched out' (gunsmith tech term) the shoulder when squashed inward, which put so much stress on the press it sprung a few thousandths so the case didn't get all the way into the die. Another case of tolerance stacking with oversize chamber and possibly an undersized die. I can't stand such mysteries and tend to cast, measure and agonize until it is KNOWN what went wrong.
For a time in the '80s, Redding 22-250 AI dies were .005 too small for the reamer I was using to rechamber a BUNCH of rifles. I sent them cast of chambers and dies and they decided they were the ones that had to change and did. They replaced more than 30 FL dies and I lapped several more.

langenc-- Moly disulphide works better than graphite but then I saw you liked cases clean. Graphite tumbles off but MDS doesn't. That's why my hands are totally black after a day in the ground squirrel pastures. I neck size only using bird shot and MDS about every fifth loading. Moly impregnates the brass making it slicker than normal. I also shoot moly coated bullets. One year, we were shooting near a flooded meadow with clouds of mosquitoes and deer flies. It only takes a few slaps with MDS hands to look REALLY weird.
I guess I didn't state my goal clearly enough. I want as accurate of a load as I can achieve, but my major issue was the case head separation. In any case I think the problem is that the chamber and dies are as you said, severely mismatched. A problem that will be solved by the collet die, and also allow me to possibly gain some accuracy. it's a $400 rifle, so I don't know how much I have to gain. Although Saturday, I was able to hit a "torso sized" target at 1k yards with it, shooting factory Winchester 129gr soft points. So I believe it does have some potential.

After playing around with moving the die up and down by a couple of turns, I was able to get just .100 of the neck and a tiny bit of the body sized without moving the shoulder. I'm going to try a few of them like that and see what happens.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts