Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems impossible but isn't.
I have the following happen on both 308 and 270 win.
I full length size the brass and drop each one (of 20) into a Lyman drop for that calibre. They all drop in perfectly and drop out without banging.
I proceed to add primer, powder, seat the bullet and crimp.
About 40 % of them will not drop into the Lyman checker. They will stick out anywhere from 1/8 inch to 5/8 inch.
Some will go down all the way with a little force and others, the ones that stick out the most won't budge.

I am using a Turret press, the resizing die is set 1/2 turn after touching the shell holder.
The case has bulged down near the base and, for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
I am using lead alloy.

It sounds ridiculous but can the tight fit of the bullet being forced into the case cause the bulge?
I don't see that as possible without pushing the primer out first.
No, the powder is not at near max. or getting compressed.

Wish-A-Lot

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,781 Posts
Well, it has to be something to do with after it's being sized likely has to do with your bullet. It could be over sized or your neck isn't being sized big enough for your bullet, or you are putting too much crimp on, but usually the shoulder collapses before what you describe happens as it's the softest part of the case.

The case isn't being supported by anything in the bullet seater die so . . . .

If you have calipers, measure one or three before and after just for grins.

I must go have a Molsen's and cogitate on this.

RJ

·
Premium Member
16,833 Posts
RJ got it. All bets on too much crimp. A very common problem. Just back off on the seating die body a 'skunch' and adjust the plug to seat to correct length.

Reactions: Jack

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,192 Posts
Get a Lyman "M" die of proper caliber to use when reloading cast bullets.

Reactions: Dan 444

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The case isn't being supported by anything in the bullet seater die so . . . .

If you have calipers, measure one or three before and after just for grins.

I must go have a Molsen's and cogitate on this.

RJ
Spot on, plus a combination of JBelk and kdub as to the solution.
Also, isn't RJ's method (bolded and underlined) of "thinking it through" considered sacrilegious in Colorado, Eh?:rolleyes:

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,925 Posts
No one says the "C" word, Creek....

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Aside from the above spot on advice that's been provided, do the finished cartridges fit the chamber?

If so, then technically there's no real problem, as we don't shoot them from the gauge, and the gauge doesn't represent the actual dimensions of the chamber. I would bet that if I gauged my hand loads, most probably wouldn't pass. I realize this isn't actually of value in regard to diagnosing your issue, I posted it so you might recognize that we have the luxury to tailor hand loads to a closer tolerance fit in our chambers, verses a factory spec cartridge, which is what a gauge actually represents.

But I do admit that the bulge you're experiencing after seating the bullet does seem unusual, never seen that happen with a hand load, especially a bottle neck cartridge. But then again, I don't crimp bottle neck cartridges, exception being for tube fed magazines, but I'm assuming it's necessary for cast bullets.

SMOA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.