Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winchester Ranger in .30-06 which I purchased around 1985. It has a very plain jane stock and I would like to replace it as part of an overall customizing project. My question is, does the Ranger line take standard Model 70 stocks?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Yes, but Winchester Model 70 stocks are available for different action lengths - i.e., they have different spacing for the holes for the rear tang screw and the forward guard screw.

IOW, you need to be sure to get a stock that will fit your .30-06.

I only realized the issue, when I was once uopn a time replacing a Sporter stock on a post-64 .338 M-70 with a late Featherweight stock.
The first stock I bought was too short between the screws, but the next stock was the correct spacing - leaving me with only a little barrel channel inletting in the chamber area due to the .338's larger diameter there.

You shouldn't have the inletting issues I had, provided you obtain the correct length stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a Winchester 70 Ranger too and have contemplated working on it. The Ranger and Model 670 stocks are the same. If you hunt around, you can find some.

Once I raise the funds I'd like to make a high end classic hunting stock for my M70. I don't think the blind magazine detracts from the quality of the rifle and it could be significantly improved in aesthetics and fit with a custom stock. Fancy wood, an ebony tip, a skeletonized grip cap, a shadow line cheekpeice, and inletted swivel studs wouldn't hurt either. I figure if I'm going to spend the money on a nice stick of wood, I might as well dress it accordingly.

Reactions: mm7wild

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I replaced the plain jane stock on my Ranger with a black, Ramline synthetic. It improved the accuracy of the gun, especially during inclement weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.