Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times can you re-use corn cob or walnut tumbling media?
I don't have a large number of cases to clean but I want to do it right and have them come out looking good. Is it a one and done issue or can it be reused?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
You'd laugh if you knew how many times I've used the cleaning media in my tumbler. :) If you do a search, you will even find where one frugal fellow actually CLEANED the media, so it could be used again. Conservatively, I'm sure you could clean a sum total of at least 500 cases before replacing or (ahem) cleaning the media.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
Dunno'. The mixed walnut/corncob media has been in my tumbler for years now (use it infrequently) and when wanting a faster cleaning job, will add some media freshner (jeweler's rouge liquid) to reinvorgate it.

Guess when you have more dust than media it might be time to change! ;)

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I have used it for at least 1000 rounds of 308 win. It still comes out clean so I still use it.
I use a batch of media for several thousand rounds. I add some Brasso from time to time, and if you drop a few paper towels in once in a while, it picks up a lot of brass junk, for even more use.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I've read of guys, or a guy, I suppose, building a small, screened "cage" for drying media. It was made of two, 2x2 frames, I believe, both covered with nylon window screening, and hinged on one side. The dirty media was placed in a leg of women's panty hose and dipped in and out of soapy water, then in and out of clean water, then spread on the frame to dry. He said he would shake it a couple of times to expose wet media to the sun or air.

I have saved my first two bowls of media in a plastic coffee can and plan to wash and air dry them, just to see if it's worth it. But those two bowls have cleaned about 1700 cases (30- and 25-06, 22-250, 44mag, and 35Rem) and really didn;t need to be changed when they were.

One thing though: New green corncob will definitely, without a doubt, clean faster and leave brass shinier than media that has already cleaned a few hundred cases. The thing is, is can you afford to have new or almost new media in the tumbler all the time? I can;t.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
I have heard/read that crushed walnut shells are for "cleaning" while ground corncob is for "polishing". I have always used corn-based media because it also seems to get my cases pretty clean. Also, I do not necessarily need/want my cases to shine like a newly minted quarter, I just want them to be free of debris so they are safe to run through my sizing die and also to make it easier to detect potential case failures. Other than that, I'm not overly concerned with their appearance.

·
Banned
49 Posts
As a added note. I use my old media and tumble/vibrate my cast bullets. It turns them very dark and polishes them. I then lube them without sizing them so I know that they have not been re-sized.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When I initially set up a batch of media, I put in the required amount of Flitz for the pounds I set up. Once it gets dirty or takes longer than I feel like waiting, I add about half of the original amount of Flitz to it. I will do this for several more times before the stuff simply looks like dirt in the tumbler. When it gets there I toss it. I got a 2500 Pro Magnum full of walnut, that has done several thousand cases, and is still going strong. Looks pretty bad but only takes about an hour or so to do a hundred or so '06 size cases. I purchased 50# bags of walnut and cob media from a sand blasting supply many years ago and still have around a half bag of each. For about $30 feel it was a good investment.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Use it until you think it's too "old" and black to be any good. Then keep using it. And the type of media, cob or nut, really makes no effective difference. People agonise over that far too much, some even go so far as to use a 50:50 mix to make sure they get it right!

If you use a polish additive the media will turn black sooner. You can "reactivate" the polish by occasionally adding an ounce or so of mineral spirits/oderless paint thinner.

Toss in a couple-three 2" squares of used clothes dryer anti-static sheets from time to time, the loose weave will trap the loose "dirt" (mostly dry polish) so you can toss it out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have cleaned countless thousands with the same wallnut media. The older it gets the longer it spends in the tumbler to get the same results. If I am not happy with the casings after 2 or 3 hrs. I toss the media. It does not cost so much I would try to clean it. But I am not looking for new penney shine just clean brass.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm on my 4th or 5th batch of nearly full-capacity pistol brass tumbling and it appears that it's just beginning to lose it's shine. A bottle of the refresher was included in the sale so I'll probably juice after a few more spins. It lasts a lot longer than I expected.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I use crushed walnut media . Before I put in a batch of brass I add 1 tsp. of mothers liquid cleaner/wax and run the tumbler till there is no more clumping . Add brass , it will come out clean and polished in about three hours . I never put case lube in my tumbler and the media just lasts and lasts !

·
Registered
151 Posts
like after 10,000 rds!

thats how long I leave mine in. If it wont clean overnight I figure its time to throw it out :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts