Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the SHOT Show, Ruger announced that they are bringing the SBH Hunter model in .44 mag back into production.  Some of you may remember that this gun was in the Ruger catalog for three years, yet only one run of them was ever made.  They are a superb gun, and with the heavy rib barrel make recoil managable even with heavy loads and no ports.

They even made a commitment that they would not only catalog them, but to actually produce them this time!  If you missed the last run, and have a sweet tooth for one, I'd suggest grabbing one early... just in case!

I had one, and it was by far and away the finest shooting .44 magnum revolver I've owned, before or since!  Like a fool I sold it when building our home in the country!  One is on my shopping list for early summer!

Yes, they are a tad heavy, but not nearly as burdensome as a 7.5" Redhawk or Super Redhawk.  Also they are a sixgun (aka single action)!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had seen that too, Marshall.  Nice to see them return, and believe I also will have to watch closely for the first available.  Scalpers have run up the prices on used ones since they were discontinued.  Saw one at a show in Reno a couple weeks back with &#36650 on it, and it was not NIB!   They are good shooters - am actually wringing one out for a friend right now that also has an action job by Magnaport.  Very slick.  We'll see how it likes the 250's, 280's, and 330's this weekend............

Maybe if we're lucky Ruger will offer it in some other calibers as well.  Seems like it'd make a fine gun in any of the magnums, .357, .41, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and maybe even the new .480 Ruger.  Hey, we can hope, can't we?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I just have to pull on this thread a bit.  I saw the Hunter is coming back.  About 6 years ago I traded my one and only Super Redhawk in on a brand new SBH Hunter.  It's name is perfect.  It is a hunter.  It's heavy but not too heavy.  It's one gun I would never consider porting.  No safe load has ever presented a recoil problem.  It's amazing what happens when you put all the extra weight in the barrel.  My son was so impressed, he hunted with it over his own SBH.

I always thought a 6" version would be even more usefull here in the east.  If ever there was a platform for Ruger to get into the 5 shot business, this is it.  Let's hope Bill Ruger sees fit this time to run with this great handgun.  

What a way to start the new year.  A good & moral president and the SBH Hunter.  

God bless...........................  Bill M

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Guys,
I've been trying to decide between a SBH or a Redhawk w/ scope rings.  Is the SBH Hunter a SBH w/ full top rib and Ruger's Intergal Scope bases made into the rib?  I think if the info I received is correct, that they were made sometime in mid '90s?  Any help clearing up the discription appreciated.  If it is the revolver I'm thinking for then my wish list has been seen and filled.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes indeed!  The SBH Hunter does have a full length barrel rib just like the Redhawk, with the same type of integral scope mounting system.  It is an excellently designed hunting revolver with unfluted cylinder, and a very nice gripframe sporting a round back trigger guard, I find this grip very comfortable to shoot.

Yes they were made in the mid 90's, and only one run of them if my information is correct.  They remained in the Ruger catalog for three years, but production only took place one run right after announcing the model.

It is a fine SA hunting revolver in all aspects.  

Blessings,

Marshall

·
Registered
47 Posts
I to have one of these on my list. I would prefer that they came with a Bisley grip frame for the best in recoil control, but I think that will have to be a seperate purchase, like from Brownell's.

God Bless

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts