Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the SHOT Show, Ruger announced that they are bringing the SBH Hunter model in .44 mag back into production.  Some of you may remember that this gun was in the Ruger catalog for three years, yet only one run of them was ever made.  They are a superb gun, and with the heavy rib barrel make recoil managable even with heavy loads and no ports.

They even made a commitment that they would not only catalog them, but to actually produce them this time!  If you missed the last run, and have a sweet tooth for one, I'd suggest grabbing one early... just in case!

I had one, and it was by far and away the finest shooting .44 magnum revolver I've owned, before or since!  Like a fool I sold it when building our home in the country!  One is on my shopping list for early summer!

Yes, they are a tad heavy, but not nearly as burdensome as a 7.5" Redhawk or Super Redhawk.  Also they are a sixgun (aka single action)!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes indeed!  The SBH Hunter does have a full length barrel rib just like the Redhawk, with the same type of integral scope mounting system.  It is an excellently designed hunting revolver with unfluted cylinder, and a very nice gripframe sporting a round back trigger guard, I find this grip very comfortable to shoot.

Yes they were made in the mid 90's, and only one run of them if my information is correct.  They remained in the Ruger catalog for three years, but production only took place one run right after announcing the model.

It is a fine SA hunting revolver in all aspects.  

Blessings,

Marshall

1 - 2 of 2 Posts