Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An elderly couple was returning from three decades of missionary service in the bush of Africa. Aboard the same ship was also Teddy Roosevelt, returning home after a grand time hunting on the dark continent.

When the ship arrived in New York, there was a hero's welcome for Teddy Roosevelt, a tickertape parade, speeches in times square, and a host of photographs and interviews in the papers.

The elderly couple checked into an inexpensive, and somewhat run-down motel room for the evening, and as they sat there, the elderly man was in a general funk. His wife inquired as to his depressed mood, and he replied that they had spent the best of their productive years in missionary service, doing the Lord's work in Africa, and absolutely no one noticed their arrival in New York. Yet, he commented, President Roosevelt spends a few weeks hunting and dispatching vairous African game, and generally having a holiday, and he arrives with a hero's welcome. " I just don't understand why he gets that kind of reception when he got home, and yet we sit here, alone and unnoticed after over thirty years serving the Lord."

His wife was silent for a few moments, then quietly reminded him.... "We're not home yet!"

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Great "punch line", I've passed it on to a number of folks who will also appreciate the simplistic beauty of the story.

Dan

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Marshall,
this reminds me of my Grandfather who spent 20+ years in India spreading the word as a missionary. He went to his reward about 6 years ago at the age of 88. I enoyed his stories of taking monkies out of the trees around the house, as well as others, with an old side by. He enjoyed his guns, he enjoyed a drink of good whiskey (Scotch if you must), and I enjoyed his company while I had it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts