Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my offhand shooting leaves something to be desired, I test my new loads via benchrest, using an apparatus that rests the barrel in a “V” and the butt on a hard rubber surface. The rear of the apparatus uses a large screw to regulate the elevation. I have found this to be a very satisfactory tool that is easier to transport than sandbags. However the various articles I read re load testing via benchrest always reference the use of sandbags. When the "big boys" of the shooting world differ from my processes, I’m curious why. Additionally, an article about a year ago specifically informed the shooter to not allow the butt of the revolver to rest on any surface.

Question: Is there an advantage to the use of sandbags that is escaping me – and how about the instructions to not let the butt of the revolver rest on any surfact?

DOK

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good to see you back online!!!  As to your question, I use sandbags mainly because I've been too cheap to try it any other way.  It does seem that if the butt of the gun hits a hard surface it will throw POI off a ways.
Good shooting
Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
DOK,

Great to see you back on the Forum!  

I've found that a hard rest tends to throw POI off as Mark mentioned in his post.  I too use sandbags, but for resting the revolver, I use a carpet sample that is rolled-up tightly, then banded into place by heavy rubber bands (cut from motorcycle innertubes)  The side-blast from the cylinder gap on heavy revolver loads won't eat the carpet roll as it will destroy sandbags, and the springiness of the carpet roll more closely mimics POI from a normal hand held gun.  Too, carpet samples are cheap, usually a buck or two at carpet stores and home improvement centers.  I generally replace mine about once a year!

Welcome back DOK!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen,

Very pleased to be home -- six months traveling was interesting (most in Florida), but as you know, no place like home.  Next year if I hit Florida again, I'm sure going to make arrangements to meet Mr. Gates and see his country side.

I agree with the POI concerns. I've definitely found that off-hand POI is different from my benchrest POI. If I'm "sighting in" the revolver, I will shoot off hand or from a sitting position. Much of my load accuracy testing uses a scoped revolver, thus I can see my wobbles and the apparatus appears to
reduce those best for me. I'll have to give the "rolled rug" a try as it would appear to be more convenient that lugging the sand bags around. When I hit the range, it takes two/three trips to get the equipment transported and the sand bags don't make it any easier.

Dan

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark/Stanton,

I owe you an apology, as my response sounded like I already knew the answer you gave me. Not true. I know the off-hand POI might vary from the benchrest POI, but in one of my many senior moments, didn't stop to think about that being a reason for keeping the gun butt off a firm support.

I shot my new Ruger 4 5/8" 45LC yesterday from both rest and off-hand, chosing 10yds. as my starting point. I was surprised to find the POI delta between rest and off-hand to be several inches at only 10yds. As you would expect, the 25yd. variance was even greater.  

Some months ago, during a discussion about heavy recoil revolvers, Mark enlightened me about the impact when the gun is not held in the same manner each shot. I may have to put a banana in one ear to slow my knowledge leak down. Anyway, just for fun, I think I'll see what transpires between shooting rest, standing, standing with sticks and sitting and concentrate on holding the revolver the same each time -- live and learn and stop the leaks!

Dan

·
Registered
156 Posts
I too am glad to see you back! What I use to sight in a revolver is a rest called a "pistolero", I got it from Midway. Adjustable up and down and very steady. I did put some foam strips on the front rest. Hope this helps you out. It works real well on hard kicking revolvers, and pretty well approximates offhand shooting.

·
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back from the range and was very disappointed with the results. Shot at 50yds. from rest and was all over the place. Vertical shot variation was bad to say the least.

Thought I'd brighten my day up by looking at my new Hamilton Bowan book I just received this morning. A picture caption caught my eye, "Regardless of bench-resting techniques, the butt must never contact the bench." The text goes on to say, "If the butt contacts the bags or the bench, shots tend to string vertically due to variations in the gun's recoil cycle from shot to shot." Well, guess what I rested the butt on and it sure resulted in vertical shots for a load I know to be much more accurate.

By the way, the book is simply outstanding and I'd sure recommend it to anyone (well, maybe not my wife). I also just got Jerry Miculek's "Ultimate advanced Revolver" VCR tape today.  I'm finding my experiences with shooting is a lot like my 37 years at the Ole Radio Factory.....lots of informatin, lots of reference, lots of ideas, but execution is still the problem.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts