Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my second revolver, and I'm having a couple of issues with it. My first revolver was a Smith & Wesson 657, which has been completely trouble-free, so I've never had to think too hard about it. This new one is a Taurus 941 (22 Magnum). I love it, except that the cylinder is binding sometimes, and I can't figure it out. It is showing me how little I know about revolvers.

Problem #1 is that about half the time when I close the cylinder, it binds against the frame. When it is in this bound condition, I can examine it closely and see that it is not contacting the frame except at the rear (and the pawl). That star-shaped gear/hub thing at the rear of the cylinder (I don't know what it's called, but a photo is attached). If I rotate the cylinder enough, eventually it slips loose. I can't figure out what causes it to do this, nor have I observed a pattern that determines when it will do this. In particular, there doesn't seem to be any particular side of the cylinder that does this.

Problem #2 is that there isn't enough clearance for the rims of the cartridges. I went to the range with four different types of ammunition. Two of them were Remington, and they fit fine. The Winchester rubbed against the face of the frame, scraping the rims up quite badly and making the cylinder very difficult to rotate. The Federal was marginal, rubbing slightly and creating only minor resistance to rotating.

I have heard that revolvers in particular need a breaking in period, and that after they have been shot a number of times, the fit of the frame and cylinder will change. So my main question is, do these seem like problems that will go away by themselves after the revolver has been broken in? If so, how long should I expect that to take, given that 22 Magnum is not a particularly powerful cartridge?

Attachments

·
Banned
655 Posts
No, it won't go away on it's own. With apologies to the folks that have had good luck with Taurus revolvers, I must say that at least in MY limited experience, Taurus has SERIOUS quality control issues. My Tracker had the same issues, plus a seriously oversize chamber that was rupturing brass.

I dumped it, and there will be no more Taurii in my gun cabinet.

I'd suggest you either return it to the dealer for a refund or return it to Taurus for warranty repairs.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,788 Posts
I agree, take it back to where you got it. Plus let the good folks at Tarus know the kind of "workmanship" they are turning out.

RJ

·
Inactive
935 Posts
I never owned a Taurus but I have experienced similar problems in other revolvers. I have found the 22 magnum to be especially dirty in revolvers as it can't burn all the powder up that is designed for sealed breach rifles.

Before you get rid of the Taurus, try this. Open the cylinder out from the frame and push the extractor out like you were ejecting shells. Dirt and especially unburnt powder can build up between the extractor and the cylinder. That effectively makes the cylinder slightly longer and causes problems like you describe. It's usually a real pain to do a thorough cleaning job but it's worth the effort. If this works, you are good to go. If not, you should probably send it back to Taurus for fixing.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am well aware of Taurus' quality issues, but I was hoping to be one of the lucky ones. If someone else had made a revolver this size in 22 Magnum, I would have bought that instead, but only Taurus does. To make matters worse, I bought this as a GunBroker auction, and returning it is not possible. I will have to deal with the manufacturer directly, or have a gunsmith work on it.

I have checked carefully under the extractor, and there is no dirt or obstruction. The problems both occurred before I had ever fired it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I bought a Taurus Tracker 22/22 magnum. When loaded the cylinder also binds up. It was scrapping that coating just before reaching top dead center. I took some 320 grit paper and removed the coating. The tool marks under that coating are ugly and crude. Very poor quality machining. I smoothed out the tool marks, being careful to keep the taper that presses the shells into place for firing. Then I polished the area with 600 grit. I loaded it and it seems to rotate fine. I will know for certain tomorrow.

I opened the cylinder and laid it against the closure slot under the barrel. While slowly rotating the cylinder I could see that the cylinder pin is not perfectly straight. I will try it again tomorrow, and if it won't rotate when fired, I'll send it back to Taurus. I have a Taurus PT 92 AF that runs like swiss watch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried it again.

What I did helped some, but it still drags and binds in spots after firing a couple cylinders of shells.
I should not have have to clean a revolver every 18 shots. I suspect that if I just keep sanding the surfaces it will work, but if it doesn't have I violated my warranty? I looked at my old Rossi 851 from the 80's and it is more finely machined than the Taurus with smoother, more gradual slopes.

Some ammo swells a lot in the Taurus and are very difficult to eject. I have not keep up on changes in guns and ammunition, (president Obama reawakened me), but I suspect that the Taurus revolver is a poorly contructed firearm, and that the 22 ammunition today is a lot dirtier than it was a couple decades ago. As a child, my fasther never cleaned his 22 remington auto squirrel gun. He would squirt it full of oil and stand it in a corner barrel down on some old paper. Then before using it, he would use a wire to pull some cloth through the barrel. That Reminton rifle never let him down. Usually, the only meat we had was what he brought home from hunting. in the 80's I had a Remington 1100 that I treated the exact same way. My shotgun NEVER failed or jammed! Never! I hunted 3-5 days a week, or until my dogs started getting footsore. Something has gone awry with guns and ammunition in the last three decades. New cars are electronic metrosexual junk as well.

Do I keep sanding on that Taurus, or send it back? I love the idea of that gun a lot more than the reality of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Taurus 22lr/22mag Hacker

I studied my old Rossi very closely, comparing it to the Hacker. The Hacker is perfectly clean! The hacker has more places for shell heads to drag and bind than the the Rossi does. I smoothed the round edges with 300 grit then polished with 600 grit. When clean, the heads of the spent casings tend to catch on the sharp raised surfaces. Then after the shell is fired, the head tends to swell and just drag everywhere. I saved spome spent casings from the range and inserted them. The cylinder wouldn't even turn! The cylinder simply needs a 2-5 thousandths more space to rotate freely. "Brazil". I guess one could just note the populations average IQ and predict.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have a Rossi that was shaving bullets and the junk prevented rotation. I think it was an indexing problem. I sent it back to them. They repaired it and it's been fine ever since. That was twenty years ago. Sometimes I think they just send them out as "Beta tests" But Rossi revolvers have lifetime warranties now. Don't know if the Taurus brand is the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Taurus Tracker binding

I used 300 grit paper to smooth it down more. I further smoothed All sharp edges the shells could catch on. I took more off of the plate the shell casings face, and I polished the exit end of the cylinder and the barrel end that faces the cylinder. Then I polished it all with 600 grit and oil. NOW the gun runs fine. I just hope the internal parts and machining are better quality than the external. My nephrew dialed the sights in and the gun shoots a lot better than I can. However, I am now confident that I can disrupt the plans of a home invader with that revolver. Got some Hornady 2200 fps polymer tips for that 6 1/2 inch barrel.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Aha! I think you have a bent CRANE (S&W calls it a YOKE). This is frequent on used swing out revolvers---It's not Taurus' fault, or yours----it's the previous owner, slinging the cylinder shut like Bogey used to do in the movies. Since you state that your experience is limited, better take it to a smith, so the crane can be straitened out. It's not a serious problem. However, I WAS wrong once. Good Luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Taurus mod 971

I had a brand new Taurus 971(22lr) that did the same thing. I returned it to Taurus for repair ( $36 @ FedEx ). They did a few things to it. I don't remember exactly what, but none of them seemed related to the problem I described in detail in the letter enclosed. I think it took about 6weeks. I got it back, checked it out, and absolutely nothing had changed with regards to the binding problem. I wrote a letter to the head man at Taurus at the time and never got a reply. Finally out of desperation, I took a common sense approach, a file, sandpaper, and steel wool, and fixed it myself. I simply honed down The rub marks on the recoil shield a little at a time until the cylinder turned freely. I really like the pistol now. Sorry, I can't say the same for Taurus' service.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a brand new Taurus 971(22lr) that did the same thing. I returned it to Taurus for repair ( $36 @ FedEx ). They did a few things to it. I don't remember exactly what, but none of them seemed related to the problem I described in detail in the letter enclosed. I think it took about 6weeks. I got it back, checked it out, and absolutely nothing had changed with regards to the binding problem. I wrote a letter to the head man at Taurus at the time and never got a reply. Finally out of desperation, I took a common sense approach, a file, sandpaper, and steel wool, and fixed it myself. I simply honed down The rub marks on the recoil shield a little at a time until the cylinder turned freely. I really like the pistol now. Sorry, I can't say the same for Taurus' service.
Just about what I had to do, minus the file. Took it out to the range and adjusted the sight. It runs nice, and I was shooting two-three inch spreads at 30 feet, and I can't see very good. Ran a box and a half of ammo through it and it is fine. Might become my favorite gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Had the 992 Tracker out the other day. Runs nice! Put 150 rounds trough it before it got dirty enough to start causing problems. I was using the 22 lr cylinder. At 50 feet I was shooting a 1 1/2" wide x 3 1/2" high grouping. Punched out a nice big hole. Pretty good for my tired old eyes. My nephew has it set about an inch and a half low, and an inch to the right at 50 feet. I will correct that. As is, it is good enough for inside the house. Just need a warm day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wrong screw in frame that holds the crane or yoke in, same size and length but different on the end of the other plate screws. Designed to hold the crane in but not bind... seen this before.Don't overtighten this screw'maybe a little Lock Tight.The pin on the yoke has a grove around it that the crane or yoke pivits on. Any other screw will position the yoke either too far back or forward causing it to drag....

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Wrong screw in frame that holds the crane or yoke in, same size and length but different on the end of the other plate screws. Designed to hold the crane in but not bind... seen this before.Don't overtighten this screw'maybe a little Lock Tight.The pin on the yoke has a grove around it that the crane or yoke pivits on. Any other screw will position the yoke either too far back or forward causing it to drag....
That's probably it, Top, but Taurus has been having a little QC trouble, of late! Could be that or an end-shake problem!?---------!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.