Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just rereading an article by Brian Pearce in the Feb-March 2002 issue of Handloader (#215) and on page 33 he says “Always wrap it (he is talking about the off-hand) around the side and never use it to cup the bottom of the grip frame”. Also in looking at Ross Seyfried’s article in Handloader #208 (Dec2000-Jan 2001) it is obvious that he is not cupping the bottom of the grip frame but rather has his left hand to the side and not under it. I typically do use my left hand to cup the bottom of the grip frame. I shoot a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt. Why would cupping the bottom of the grip frame be the wrong way to do it? Is it because recoil would be more likely to be inconsistent and therefore group size would be larger? Thanks, Brian.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
as an NRA pistol instructor, we are taught to instruct our students to use the "wrap" to exert pressures on both sides of the grips. This eliminates "heeling" and to some extent "the flinch". It basically teaches consistancy.
For a more experienced shooter, cupping will work; it is how it was taught years ago.
Offhand is now taught to keep the non-shooting hand in the pocket or the thumb in a belt loop. When my father taught me, he showed me by putting the non-shooting hand ALWAYS on the hip, as all Bullseye shooters did. I guess what I'm getting at is unless you are a competitive shooter, you can really grip your pistola how it feels comfortable.
For a S/A, the recoil sort of "rolls" rather than pushes, so I assume that cupping affords you more control?!?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts