Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a couple guys talking about using rice in their tumblers. Said it was cheaper than corn cob media, etc.

Anybody ever use it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, heard the same thing and tried it out. NO apprecable difference than straight corn cobb. Kept getting rice in the primer hole and needed to check each case before sizing. Just my opinion, but it is not worth the extra work.

Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just get a bag of crushed walnut shells used for bird bedding... a 20lb bag is like $15 bucks I think. I just replaced mine for the 3rd time(tumbler full) and on the past two portions I polished probably 10,000 pieces of brass... I tired washing my old batch of media and it cleaned up and is just about as coarse as new stuff.

MIke.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Yes, heard the same thing and tried it out. NO apprecable difference than straight corn cobb. Kept getting rice in the primer hole and needed to check each case before sizing. Just my opinion, but it is not worth the extra work.

Jim
Will rice keep from breaking up into small particles if used in a vibratory tumbler? Would hate to find rice "flour" in my tumbler after an all-night session of tumbling. Have been using walnut and corn media exclusively and dump my media for new about every six months. The cost savings was never an issue when buying media.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Never thought about using cooked rice (ha, ha, ha, ha) but if I get hungry it's an idea. (LOL)

Yes it will break up.

Jim

·
Banned
415 Posts
We used to use rice as a media in a vibratory cleaner for reclaiming drill stem. We did have it breaking up, but then, we were also vibrating 85 lb steel rods...

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I would be concerned about the ends of the rice breaking off and getting stuck in the flash hole. I do use rice in my bench rest bags though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts