Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go folks as I am certain I will be reaching out to all who can offer advise as I go.
This stock arrived much earlier than expected. Ordered on 8/2/21 Date due wasn't until 10/16/21 so I was shocked when it arrived yesterday. This is for my Savage Model 11 build.

Now I have to honestly state that it is not quite how I imagined it from the pictures on their website but it is very close and I am quite pleased with it. Also I know many had warned that these are not finished stocks and that they arrive quite rough and need a lot of work. Again an honest impression, this stock arrived in a much nicer condition than I was expecting! A few rough parts but nothing major and there is plenty of material in places that I can shape it to my liking and to fit me.

My next question is do I post a running update as I go or wait until it is finished and post just one storyline?

Anyways, here are some pictures of this stock just as it came.
Richards Microfit Field Trekker, Savage Model 11 Bottom Bolt release, DBM;

Wood Sleeve Automotive exterior Bumper Beige

Shoe Wood Comfort Wood stain Hardwood

Table Wood Rectangle Road surface Grey
Wood Road surface Grey Asphalt Floor

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Please, if you can, post a running update. That looks pretty cool and I'd love to see the work in progress. Thank You

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought I'd add a link to the original topic about this stock; Richards Microfit stocks this way newcomers can catch up if so desired.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
That looks like it will turn out very nicely. Do a running update. Also explain what you are using to shape that stock while you are working on it.

Beautiful.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,210 Posts
Very cool. Can you remind us which grade and inletting you got?

Reactions: KMW1954

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very cool. Can you remind us which grade and inletting you got?
Supposed to be a 99% press fit in Economy grade Claro Walnut. There are two small spots on the butt below the cheek piece that look like they were filled. It is visible in the 1st photo. As for the inletting, it would not press in. Needs a little work around the barrel nut and bottom metal/trigger guard.

Reactions: IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
2,210 Posts
Supposed to be a 99% press fit in Economy grade Claro Walnut. There are two small spots on the butt below the cheek piece that look like they were filled. It is visible in the 1st photo. As for the inletting, it would not press in. Needs a little work around the barrel nut and bottom metal/trigger guard.
Thanks. I saw that little filled spot. Not bad for economy grade. Too bad the inletting isn't press fit, but at least you have a project! I bet it'll turn out nice.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I can tell there is only a very small amount that needs to be removed and it should drop in.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The drop in for my Richards was not much. It was the outer stock that needed/needs work. I should have done more, but was more interested in getting it to the range at that time. I think I'll have another go at it to make it better.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some time to get a few photos of what I have going, please excuse the shadows!
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Office supplies

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Wood Bicycle part

In these first photos you can see where I will need to inlet around the barrel nut to get the receiver to sit flush.

Blue Automotive tire Wood Bumper Cosmetics

Blue Automotive tire Hood Bumper Wood

Here you can see the bottom metal will insert from either end but not both ends. Looks like inletting the front will be the best option with less removal.

Wood Bumper Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Automotive exterior Eyewear

Saw Blue Wood Bumper Line

Trigger guard with and w/o bottom metal.

Wood Landscape Tints and shades Shade Formation

The two small flaws that really show up.

Reactions: IDShooter

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try this again, posted yesterday but for some reason it didn't?

Spent a couple hours the other day with the Dremel and slowly worked the stock action and bottom metal areas to get everything to drop in. Was extremely surprised at how little material I had to remove to fit everything. Used just a sanding drum, sand a little check fit sand some more, repeat.

I have determined that this stock will need the added help of pillars as the rear area is really lacking in material but that is for another thread on just that subject.

Here are a few pix's of where it is at right now;

Air gun Sports equipment Textile Wood Shotgun

Air gun Trigger Textile Wood Machine gun

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks for keeping us up to date. You have your work cut out for you, but it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for keeping us up to date. You have your work cut out for you, but it will be worth it in the end.
As long as all you people keep interested I will keep posting updates.

Right now I am trying to figure out the best way to add pillars to this stock as there isn't much to work with around the rear screw.

Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Bumper Composite material

1 - 16 of 16 Posts