Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have BB guns, hand guns, and shot guns, now I need a rifle.

My main concern is getting something that will defeat body armor. I have read up on the topics somewhat. My main concern is after watching where those robbers at the CA bank heist that were being shot by the police at close range and nothing happened, I do not want that to happen at my house. That the robbers returned fire after being hit multiple times and shot through the police defensive cover and through cinder block kiosks was an eye opener. The police had to go to a gun store to get rifles.

Being in the Atlanta area we have a lot of Mexican drug dealers and they have gone so far as to kill a whole family in their house, kids included. They probably have body armor and everything I can't buy as a citizen and I am sure if the stuff hits the fan they will not think twice about invading a house or neighborhood to take what they want.

Going by the specs, I think the 30-06 and .308 cartridges would probably be the best to defeat body armor and still be a good hunting cartridge. I really do not want to get into hand loading and that stuff if I do not have to. I just want to buy it off the shelf.

I am buying land closer to me for the EndOfTheWorld and hunting. So, I guess something effective beyond the typical ak-47 up to 1,000 feet for hunting.

I suppose I could join a militia group and find out that way, but, I am not really a militia type person. I just want something for reasonable defense against bad guys during rioting to protect my family and house.

I would want a rifle that is magazine feed with at least five rounds, hopefully <$1000.

I had considered a Century AK-47 ($500), but, after seeing LockNLoad they are probably not accurate enough for hunting at 300 yards. I would want something suitable for bear (450 pounds), deer and moose (I have land in Maine with all), though I live in GA.

Is something that fires the 30-06 (3,000 fps) the best way to go for those needs and for the cheapest ammo?

·
Super Moderator
13,439 Posts
I don't really want to see a thread that winds up advertising to criminals and terrorists how to defeat police or military body armor.

Note that hard body armor is an evolving technology and there is really nothing you can buy today that you will know for sure is going to defeat what is available even five years from now. Even today it takes specialized military ammo to defeat what is available, and it can't always be bought off the shelf. Besides, I expect the use of hard body armor by home invaders and other low level criminals is pretty uncommon. I've yet to hear of such an instance. I would just focus on what works best for you for hunting and figure to get your shooting skills up to where, in the unlikely event of confronting armored invaders, you can lay a hurt on someone by aiming at their unarmored places. For that purpose either of the earlier choices you mentioned will be fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.