Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a chance to purchase some CCI BR2 and BR4 rifle primers at a Great price. I have never used these before, are they the same as CCI 400 small rifle and CCI 200 orimers. What is the difference.

Thanks

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,995 Posts
The BR designates bench rest quality vs. standard quality .

Please find the appropriate forum to place future postings. Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Sorry If I posted in the wrong place I thought it was a good place to ask the question.
I still do not have an answer what is the difference or does it matter.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The BR designation means "Bench Rest". I have found these to be the "best of the best" primers. This is only my personal experience and I have no hard data to back that up...but I have gotten my best groups over the years using the CCI BR brand.

Here is my best group in 204 Ruger using the CCI Small Rifle BR Primers. My 2nd best was barely bigger.

Handwriting Font Symmetry Circle Parallel

My local guy was selling them for $10.99 and retail now is $11.99.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You may find more consistency in the ones labeled BR or M (match). It depends on your intended use to some extent. Some loads will shoot better with the BR/M primers, some will not. Most serious centerfire competitors start with the BR/M primers, but certainly will test the regular primers when working up a new load.

·
Registered
50 Posts

kdub, could you please help me decide what would be an appropriate forum if I were to ask a similar question? If I had this question, I would have also put it in this forum so before I make such a mistake, please help me out.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,995 Posts
Certainly - the question was posted in the General Discussion forum to start with. With a look at the board menu, there are many other forums listed, one of which is this forum on handloading procedures. Perusal of the menu will help in finding the forum most closely related to the desired post. Otherwise, we Moderators have to relocate the thread to the proper forum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The BR designation means "Bench Rest". I have found these to be the "best of the best" primers. This is only my personal experience and I have no hard data to back that up...but I have gotten my best groups over the years using the CCI BR brand.

Here is my best group in 204 Ruger using the CCI Small Rifle BR Primers. My 2nd best was barely bigger.

View attachment 102661

My local guy was selling them for $10.99 and retail now is $11.99.

Good luck and all the best.
Darkker has occasionally posted some pressure tracings of pressure curve powder burn rate graphics. Two things have impressed me about those charts. The first being that the graph of the pressure curve powder burn rate is remarkably uniform. The second thing that impressed me was that the ignition process at the beginning of the curve seems to spit and sputter and fizzle, and some pressure curves take off a lot faster than others. These pressure curve charts are traced on a millisecond timed basis, and it seems to me that there is great variability in the primer ignition sequence on the millisecond chart. I need to test some bench rest primers.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,963 Posts
The thing they are supposed to be more consistent at, is output. Regardless of total amount of products output (hot particles, gas, pressure) the bench rest version is supposed to be more uniform.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Always treated them the same as to pressure/safety....just that the BR type were a bit more quality controlled/uniform. Were more expensive, so generally saved them for the final loadings rather than the work-up loadings..

·
Super Moderator
13,768 Posts
CCI says of their BR primers: "They're assembled with extra care for superior consistency and accuracy."

This is also what is said of Federal Match and other competition primers. Not that they are different from standard, but that they put their most experienced primer assemblers to work on them to maximize ignition consistency. The fact there is a different crew making them than are making the CCI standard primers means they could be a little different. I saw some comparisons of Feder 205 and 205M (the match version) shooting the same 223 load, and on that day, with those lots, the 205M produced a little bit higher velocity. So back your load off a little—maybe 5% is enough with any primer change—and increment the powder charge until your chronograph or your group size says you are back to where you were with your regular primers.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
When I couldn't tell the difference on paper (which happened more often than not)...just stuck with the standard primers

really not sure if the BR primers were actually subject to all that strict QC...or if they were the "middle production run" between getting everything adjusted....and wearing/self adjusting out of specs.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've gotten good results with 55 year old Herter's, Winchester and Remington Primers. I also have gotten good results with new standard and magnum primers. I like CCI because they used to be the most available, although I am sure the Federal Match primers are also good. Federal primers were never really available much when I shot a lot.

I think a lot of shooting is mental. If you have confidence in what you are shooting, you will do well. If you don't...you get it. I shot ~4 tons of soft Mexican shot when I shot competitively in Skeet for 12,20 and 28. I did use hard 8 1/2's for .410, but that was probably a mental thing. I bought bulk 45 bullets for IPSC and Bowling Pin, but was confident in them. Again a mental thing.

In my recent 204 competition, I had been getting good results with CCI Magnum primers, but my last 15 shots were using CCI BR #4's. Pure luck actually. After two years, I came up with a perfect powder, primer and bullet combination. I am a good believer in luck!

In today's times. Buy what you can get and I'm sure they will work out fine.

·
Super Moderator
13,768 Posts
I'm only repeating what the manufacturers say is different. There is also the problem that the tyros can sometimes do better than the experienced folks because they are still learning and therefore are paying more attention and haven't got bored yet. So I've seen lots where 205 shot a little tighter than 205M or vice versa. Same with the BR primers. But I would say the worst of the BR primers produce less velocity variation than the worst standard ones do, so there is some margin of guarantee in that.

The funny thing is, the standard Russian KVB primers produce lower velocity SD's than any other. A fellow on another forum brought it to my attention, but G. David Tubb figured it out, too, and switched. And these are not Match or BR primers. Just be careful looking online for them that you don't get sucked into a scam site, like Outdoor Ammory or some such. They are hard to seat, though.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Here are a few links that might be worth reading. The NRA book 'Ammunition Making' (can be downloading in PDF form), while some may feel it to be 'outdated', it goes into detail of the overall process that is not often found elsewhere, and is, if nothing else, educational:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry If I posted in the wrong place I thought it was a good place to ask the question.
I still do not have an answer what is the difference or does it matter.
In short yes there are the same, but held to a tighter tolerance for a more consistent ignition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What everyone else said. Let me also add, if and that's a big IF, the deal is legit, definitely buy them. I've been trying for over a year to buy some CCI #450 or any decent small rifle or small rifle magnum primers without any luck. I've signed up for notifications but they never send any alerts whenever they do come in stock so, so far, it's been no help at all.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What everyone else said. Let me also add, if and that's a big IF, the deal is legit, definitely buy them. I've been trying for over a year to buy some CCI #450 or any decent small rifle or small rifle magnum primers without any luck. I've signed up for notifications but they never send any alerts whenever they do come in stock so, so far, it's been no help at all.
I feel your pain. I was fairly well stocked before the recent madness hit EXCEPT for SR primers. I have been lucky and found what I needed locally to keep me going, but it took diligence on my part and my local shop (hour and a half drive) was pretty good about sending emails to people that subscribe to that service.

Lohman Arms in Houston is showing Winchester No. 41 SR primers in stock (link attached). I am not sure, but they may be attached to Lohman Gunsmith services who I used several years ago to replace a recoil pad on 12 gauge shotgun. The existing one had worn out and I was not able to grind down a new one myself at that time. I had the pad and he actually had one of his guys install it while I waited. He had a nice machine shop and I was satisfied with the work I had done. I bought some powder while I was there and the owner told me that he was looking into expanding his gunsmithing business into selling reloading supplies. I had another local shop at that time (since closed), who I used and Lohman's was a pretty good drive for me, so I never really thought about him again until I did an ammoseek search just now.

I did a Mapquest search on Lohman Arms and it shows that they are only about an hour away from me, so I may have to take a drive to check them out. A look at their phone number shows Tennessee though. I would definitely call them first before ordering anything.

Good luck on your search.

Edited: A BBB search shows them to be located in Cleveland, TN. Not sure why my Google search showed them to be in Houston? I will call them today and the Gunsmith I used years ago to see if they are affiliated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts