Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be mounting a fixed 4 power on a whby. ultra lightweight
and am open to suggestions on best mounting system.
cal 338-06. alloy? steel? one piece base or two, dual dovetail, conetrol, or skulptured out of PA. weaver, thanks in advance for help.
tom

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Are you doing it yourself, and have you used any of the bases/mounts that you have listed?

If you want simple, cheap, reliable, and quick-detach, go with the Weaver-style on a one piece base.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've had good luck with both Burris and Leupold rings and bases. I prefer a dual dovetail setup. I've never been a big fan of the weaver style,for aestetic reasons, but have used then enough times to know that they do work quite well. If you want it to look nice and be functional there are quite a few different option including the tow mentioned already. I would stay away from any alloy bases on a serious hunting rifle, like a 338-06. I use the dual dovetails when they're handy, and always on heavy recoiling rifles or pistols.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,966 Posts
I'd go with KciH -

That Ultralite is gonna have some hefty recoil in a .338-06. The dual dovetail setup will assure the rings don't walk around on you. Even though you're striving for weight reduction, go with the steel rings/bases for best results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts