Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do some long range shooting so i was wondering if anybody use rifle scopes on their encore pistols. what one and the power you guys are using?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I have four Contender barrels but the only one I use a standard rifle scope on is the 44Mag, which is set up as a carbine. If you are shooting your Encore as a pistol and don't have a stock to help absorb recoil at the shoulder, you really need to have the gun at arms' length, when you shoot it. Otherwise you'll be on the way to the emergency room to get that indentation in your forehead looked at! Especially if you're shooting a fairly powerful cartridge, you really need to stick with a LER (long eye relief) scope.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
"Long Range" ??

Define "long range" ??

There are a couple companies that make a pistol scope that is up to 12X(3X-12X IIRC). There are a few that market scopes that go up to 7 or 8X. When mounted waaaay out at arms length, that is all you can control as far as cross hair movement on target.

I have tried several of the IER/LER scopes lately, and 6X is 'bout all I can control on a long bbl'ed, fairly heavy, single shot, hunting pistol. This,even with the front on bags or bi-pod and the rear supported by a bag or my fist.

As stated above,a pistol scope usually starts off with 12 inches of eye relief for a reason. They will go up to 20(or so) inches for the same reason. I have some experience with a 4-12X rifle scope mounted on a bolt action target pistol but that was chambered in 22LR. BTW,it worked great.

If possible, would suggest that you try 'em before you buy 'em. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
410 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts