Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How are you all doing?

My name is Izy, I'm from Sydney Australia. I've been reading your forum alot lately and decided to become a member.

I will mostly be using this rifle for indoor target shooting. When I do have a chance (Because of bloody work) to go hunting I will be going after medium-large sized deer and boar.

Please guide me if I have chosen anything out of the ordinary. Some I have purchased already and some are still on hold.

Rifle- Remington 700 SPS Stainless 7mm-08 (Should I stick with the 7mm-08? or go with the .308?) (What's the difference between SPS, BDL and CDL? Does it matter?)
*Scope- Leupold VXII, 4-12X40, Fine Duplex, AO, (Silver) (PURCHASED)
*Scope Base- Two-piece Leupold base (Silver) (PURCHASED)
*Scope Rings- Leupold Rings STD 1'' Medium (Silver) (PURCHASED)

Scope Cover- Butler Creek Flip Open Eye #11 ( Will this fit good on my scope?, do I need a front cover?)

Tell me what you guys think of this setup. Cheers.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Izy, Welcome to ShootersForum!

That setup looks very good to me, in either chambering, although I'm not necessarily crazy about bipods. For benchrest shooting I would rather have a good set of bags and even if you use the front bipod, you'll want a rear bag while shooting targets. The only situation where I've found bipods useful in the field is when I'm hunting varmints like prairie dogs or ground squirrels at long ranges. Can't imagine a bipod being anything but in the way while deer or hog hunting, unless you get a lot more open shots than we do.

Also, where are you able to shoot high-power rifles, indoors? Do they have a huge warehouse, or something? You definitely will want some GOOD hearing protection, if that's the case because the sound will be worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Broom.

Yeah a massive warehouse with target-shooting ranges. It does get pretty loud. What do you recommend?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,692 Posts
Earplugs and earmuffs both. Sounds like quite a range. Good luck and I think you'll have success with either caliber.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Please guide me if I have chosen anything out of the ordinary. Some I have purchased already and some are still on hold.

Rifle- Remington 700 SPS Stainless 7mm-08 (Should I stick with the 7mm-08? or go with the .308?) (What's the difference between SPS, BDL and CDL? Does it matter?)

Rifle Bipod- Harris 9-13" Series 1 (Are bags better?, if so what should I use? since Im going to be target shooting most of the time)

Ear Safety- (What is some good ear safety out there since Im going to be target shooting most of the time)

*Scope- Leupold VXII, 4-12X40, Fine Duplex, AO, (Silver) (PURCHASED)
*Scope Base- Two-piece Leupold base (Silver) (PURCHASED)
*Scope Rings- Leupold Rings STD 1'' Medium (Silver) (PURCHASED)

Scope Cover- Butler Creek Flip Open Eye #11 ( Will this fit good on my scope?, do I need a front cover?)

Tell me what you guys think of this setup. Cheers.
welcome and nice setup. I don't really know the difference between a Remington 700 SPS, BDL and CDL. My understanding was that the BDL and CDL were virtually the same, except the CDL (Classic Deluxe) had a more streamlined look and feel. i'd say your caliber choices are perfect and I might add that a .270 win would also work.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,692 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here (expose my ignorance) but it is my understanding that all of the Rem are exactly the same action, and the differences are all in the magazine and stock. That is, blind magazine, floorplate, or detachable box mag.

Of course you have long and short actions too. Oh I guess the barrel length and contour can change.

At least that was all I could ever figure out about Rem's naming scheme.

The only 700 I have is a short action with a blind magazine... and I don't even know what model that is supposed to be :p

Like I said.... ignorance.... !

·
Registered
129 Posts
MikeG has pretty much nailed the model differences. I'll add just a little bit more. The SPS (Special Purpose Synthetic) series will have a synthetic stock and a magazine floorplate that opens to allow removing all cartridges without cycling them with the bolt. The BDL series will have a high grade wood stock, better finish and the same type of floorplate setup. The ADL was the "economy" wood stocked model and has a blind magazine well that requires cycling the bolt to remove cartridges; i.e., no floorplate that can be opened. Apparently the ADL has been dropped from the Remington line as their website no longer lists it.

Visit the Remington website for more information on all their models. http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Thanks Broom.

Yeah a massive warehouse with target-shooting ranges. It does get pretty loud. What do you recommend?
I have a variety of ear muffs, some generic and some name brand. They all work about the same, based on their db rating. For indoor shooting, you might consider ear plugs, with muffs over the top. Just do a comparison of various models and their noise reduction rating and then remember...ya get what ya pay for. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd 7mm-08, if only because it's way more bang for the buck than a 308 when stuff gets far or in the wind.

The 9-13 oughta do the trick perfect for prone and bench, but I would recommend getting a rear bag for the bench. Or at least keep a towel or sweatshirt in mind for a rear rest.

I prefer muffs to earplugs, but if you're getting both, get a nice set of plugs and I wouldn't worry too much about going fancy on muffs. I say this because the plugs are going to be in your ears and you don't want the cheapest uncomfortable plugs you can get, and any muffs should help plenty in combination to keep the sound muffled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just bought the Peltor Tactical 6S Electronic. What you guys reckon? I got it for a bargain too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The bi-pod is ok for casual BR shooting and not a competition. What I do is put the bipod feet on a smooth sheet of milamine coated craftwood. This stops the feet digging into the concrete benchrest top . Gives nice smooth tracking of the recoil.
Remove any rear sling stud and use a normal bunny eared rear bag .
I have seen some nice tight groups shot like this.
That way when you go hunting and lay down to take a shot in the field it all feels very familar. The gun is more likely to hold it's range set zero in the field .
For stalking game a bi-pod is of less help.
For waiting over a bait station for game a bi-pod is a big help in most cases.
The 7mm -08 is a very versatile round indeed and quite suitable to Australian thin skinned game . However the 308 has a far better range of bullets available and is a better round in thick scrub. It's a 50 -50 toss up as both are good.
Look at all the options not just the caliber. I prefer a .308 diameter bullet because the projectile range is so wide and many target quality bullets are made for .308
However you may not feel that that is an issue in this case. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
361 Posts
.308 ammo is easer to find. You might have no problem down there but I think if I went to any of the gun shops up here and said 7-08 most of them would say "what".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.308 ammo is easer to find. You might have no problem down there but I think if I went to any of the gun shops up here and said 7-08 most of them would say "what".
You know what, you're absolutely right and that's exactly what happened.

I'm gonna stick with the .308

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
If you're going to be even a semi-serious indoor target shooter, simple economics will dictate that you become a handloader, at some point. When you reach that stage, it doesn't matter if you're shooting the ubiquitous 308 cartridge or a 25 Copperhead. You buy a couple hundred pieces of brass and even if you shoot quite a bit, you're set for at least a year.

·
Registered
361 Posts
broom, I agree 100%. I have only bought loaded ammo on very rare occasions, I normally buy unprimed or once fired brass, like most of us here I would say. How ever I think someone just getting into shooting should buy one in a caliber that you can buy loaded.

Izy, I think it should be the law that every firearm owner should own at least one .22 long rifle. You may already have one. Shooting at that indoor range would be much more fun and a lot cheaper with a 22.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Of the ones you mentioned, I'd personally get the 7mm-08 in the 700 BDL. I don't know how big your boars are down there, but for deer, the range of bullet weights for the .308 are a bit on the high side. I like 120 to 140 gr bullets for deer, and most of the .308 are 150 and up. There are some good .308 bullets below 150 gr (I load 150 gr for my son's .308) but for smaller weights I'd prefer the .284 over the .308.

The critters don't care, though. Very little difference in the real world; both are very good.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
I think you will be much happier with the .308, and as far as range goes it has won far more 1000 yard matches than the 7mm-08. With 150 grain tsx your shooting plenty flat, and you could use that combo on anything from little deer to water buffalo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts