Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked Briley for a rifle tube to fit in my Red Label..They list no such beast. Is this not avaliable from a maker?
I have a 28 ga. that I would like to add a rifle tube to.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I personally haven't heard of anything for shotguns, I do know that rifles are routinely bored out and rifled liners are installed (permanently) for a quasi-reboring job. This is usually done to rifles being changed to a smaller caliber. I believe brownells sells the liners, but I'm not sure of the maker.

I have heard some reports of Ruger Red Labels being converted to O/U rifles. However, from what I've gathered it was a pretty expensive proposition with mixed results. I believe EAA is selling double rifles now at a pretty attractive price http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/shotguns/izhmp221_rifle/index.html

Another article covering the Russian made O/U is at http://www.gunsandammomag.com/dynamic.asp?intSectionID=195&intArticleID=3293

While these would be entirely new gun purchases, they are not as expensive as a Searcy, Krieghoff or Merkel or any of the London guns. Not as finished nor as traditional either. I have no idea about reliability or accuracy. Browning is still offering their continental models in Europe and can be found from time to time on many of the gun buying/auction websites.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply..No, I'm actually looking for what I stated earlier. Guess I could put it on the Ruger wishlist. I know the operating pressures are quite different comparing a shotgun and then the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Although the selections are limited, MCA Sports offers barrel inserts for shotguns. I've used some of their products and the accuracy potential is surprising. Maybe these are of interest to you!

http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
334 Posts
I followed the link to MCA; it's interesting...
HOWEVER, I detect danger, here. The low-powered cartridges should be OK but the higher-pressure of a bottleneck .30-40 (or similar) might create too much back-thrust for a break-action shotgun to handle. The pressure will try to force the action open. This is the problem the original Contenders had. I'm simply looking at the force trying to pull the breach away from the barrel and is not the same as the recoil; although they're related. This will be the pressure times the area of the cartridge base, less the area of the projectile.
F=P * (base_area - bullet_area)
This neglects, of course, the strength of the cartridge case and friction of the bullet in the barrel.
The area of the projectile (shot collumn) is virtually the same as the cartridge case in a shotgun shell. In a bottlenecked cartridge, however, they're obviously much different. In addition, the pressures are vastly different. The bottlenecked cartridge will, in effect, turn its base into a piston pushing the barrel and the breach face apart! :eek:
Sure, I've neglected a few other points, such as the recoiling breach face accellerating the barrel along behind it. It's not my intent to perform a full-up engineering analysis. I just want to ring a tocsin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts