Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the buzz in the rimfire world is about the .17HMR, but to my thinking this is going the wrong way with rimfire caliber. My wish rimfire cartridge would be a twenty-five with an about eighty grain LBT or TC bullet at about the same velocity as standard .22 LRs. What do you think? Would it work? Will we ever see it? How close is what I want to some of the old larger caliber rimfires?

My great Uncle and Granddad used a .22 Special (heavier bullet at roughly the same velocity as .22LR) and a .25/20 to good effect on small game, and the proposed round is about midway between these two.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Fireplug:
Unfortunately, fat chance. The old .25 Stevens ran a 67 grain bullet at 1180 fps. The American companies dropped in in 1942, although C-I-L (Dominion) loaded it until the early `70's. A 65 gr. round-nose solid at 1130 fps is listed in the 1971 catalog. There may have been some off-shore batches made since then, like the .32 Rimfire was. A couple of the local dealers got some .32 in several years ago and it went pretty fast, even at a buck a pop.

The old-timers liked it for edible small game because it didn't waste meat like the .22 magnum. I don't think those .17 Hornadys will leave much of a squirrel or rabbit to eat. We can always wish.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jack,

Thanks for the information and links. The discontinuation of cartridges that work seems to be axiomatic in the industry. We will not allow me to get started about the end of production for .350 RM by Remington. The better the catridge the less the manufacturers support it.

Thanks,
Fireplug

·
Registered
29 Posts
You and Elmer Keith are on the same wavelength on a .25 rimfire. It'd be like a .25-20, which is a humdinger of a small game/varmint killer.

Xzec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts