Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experts out there on the relationship between the firing pin striking energy and 22 Long Rifle consistency and velocity? I have been testing a variety of hyper velocity 22 ammo in different barrel lengths and actions, and found everything locical and consistent EXCEPT for Aguila's new 30 grain hyper. From 18 and 22 inch marlin bbls, it does about 1500 fps, but shows wide 150 fps variations in both bbls. The 22 inch is more consistent, but the averages are the same. However, in a 26 inch rem bolt action they clock 1745 fps with an extreme spread of only 18 fps.

The long 26 inch bbl has NO effect on velocity and consistency for CCI, Federal and Remington competitors. The 18, 22 and 26 inch bbls all give about the same velocity and spread. Then along comes Aguila and gains 245 fps and finds consistency in the long bbl.

I can only figure that the dominant variable is not bbl length, but could instead be firing pin energy. The 26 inch is a single shot where you arm the pin by pulling a knob back, and it seems to really crush the daylights out of the rim.

Can such a thing give you 245 fps and an 18 fps spread? It does not have the same effect on the other ammo.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,140 Posts
loader,
The velocity increase you see could also be the result of Aguila using a substantially different powder than the other loads. I'm not sure that would cause the wide velocity variations observed in the shorter barrels though. Puzzling!
How many rounds are you firing for each test? Are you using just one lot of ammo? I would guess from your previous posts that you are a pretty thorough experimenter; I'm just trying to brainstorm other possible variables. I don't really know if firing pin force would cause that much variation.

IDSHooter

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ID Shooter -

Thanks for the fast reply. I am stumped. The new CCI Velocitor ammo in 40 grains behaves predictably as you go from 18 to 22 to 26 inches, gradually gaining 100 fps to top out at 1445 in the 26 inch.

The Aguila's do smell radically different, so the powder and/or primer is new. I must say that 1750 fps from a 22 LR is an outstanding achievement, and worth a 26 inch bbl. At 22 inches and under its gets sorta wild, so you are better off with the CCI Stingers if you are looking for speed.

I have done this same experiment with the 22 mag, and it needs only 17 inches of bbl to top out...same bore and twice the case capacity, go figure.

If anyone else has worked with the new Aguila hypers please chime in.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hello Loader,

It just so happens that I walked in from the range and saw your post. I was working with .22LR in a 14" T/C Contender and my new CZ 452 with a 28 3/4" barrel. I shot four different brands of ammo through both of them, CCI MiniMag, Lapua, Aguila SSS and Aguila Super Max. Here is what I got:

CZ Rifle with 28 3/4" bbl.-
CCI MiniMag, AV-1172, ES-26.28, SD-9.59 and 1MOA.
Lapua- AV-1284, ES-51.08, SD-1600 and 2MOA
Aguila SSS-AV-829.2, ES-78.01, SD-21.81 (would not group at all, 60 grain pills will not stabilize in my rifle, everyone keyholed)
Aguila Super Max-AV-1653, ES-140.9, SD-40.87, 1.5MOA

Contender Super 14- (Hard to check MOA, I only have a 1.5X scope on it, and at 50 yds, things are real small, but everything did stay within a 2" circle.)
CCI MiniMag-AV-1179, ES-62.86, SD-20.37
Lapua-AV-1264, ES-51.54, SD-19.89
Aguila SSS-AV-841.8, ES-72.78, SD-25.11 (grouped as well as everything else in the Contender)
Aguila Super Max-AV-1516, ES-260.2, SD-81.03

The Super Max is very eratic in both of the guns I shot it in. The SSS needs a faster twist than my CZ has. I would guess that my Contender is just a might too slow also, but they did not keyhole in it. I did notice that the Aguila ammo is Eley Primed. Or so the box says. Next time out, I will shoot them in a 5" barrel MarkII and see what happens.

All around, I got the best results with the CCI MiniMag.

Allen F.

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
Guess it's been 17 years or more, but Winchester use to sell the "expiditer", which is a match in concept to the the Aquila hyper vel. round. Basically, the Expiditer was an unfortunate match of a stinger length case and a HP .22 short bullet. Never was consistant, gave large velocity variations, and seldom shoot small groups.

Think the Aguila stuff suffers the same problems.

You may find a barrel that does well with it...and my guess would be that if you have a barrel that is known to be a bit tight, it may work better (at least the old expiditer round did).

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have been shooting 22lr for 30 years, and still the most accurate and stable ammo for me is Remington Yellow Jackets,A little on the costly side compared to CCI's/Win's but there are quality rounds, this is a jhp a coned head and smaller than most 22lr ammo, I think 28gr off the top of my head, My New souped up 10/22 with all VQ parts loves the yellow jackets, I shoot a quarter inch at 50 yards, only using the yellow jackets, CCI Mini Mags are erratic, winchester vary almost 50 fps, I even had one barely drop one out the end of my barrel when I was testing them, sounded like a thud, took apart my rifle to make sure it was not in the barrel. I like yellow jackets due to there high velocity, really tares up those squirrels & woodchucks, I have also head shot coyotes with them as well, drops them like a bad habit LOL...Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts