Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many different rimfire cartridges are on the market? I know of .22 and .17 is there any others?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well, there are a bunch of 22's, 2 17's (That I know of) and a .32 rimfire, that you don;t really see too much of.

Thats about all I can come up with.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Welcome kirkster.

The ".22" covers quite a few; CB, short, long, long-rifle, wrf mag, WRF. Quite a few old, old larger caliber rimfires that I know exist, but can't name.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Kirkster, welcome here.

The standards now are .22 Long Rifle (aka .22 LR), .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (aka .22 Mag), .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire (aka .17 HMR), and .17 Hornady Mach 2 (aka .17 HM2 or .17 Mach 2). There is also .22 Short, but that isn't very common. .22 LR is FAR more common than any of the other rimfires or any center fires for that matter. If you want some background, look them up on Wikipedia. They have pictures too.

Tell us about yourself. What do you shoot? What do you do for work? Etc.

I have a couple .22's and that's it for right now until I'm out of college. They sure are fun though!

I'll see you around the forum,

Matt M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info

New to the forum. I just want to say thanks for those who replied. Other then deer and elk I got into rat hunting last year and I love it just trying to find ranchers in the ochoco area to shoot if anyone could steer me in a good direction. And as far as that goes anywhere in the eastern oregon area.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No one has mentioned the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum, which is recently having a revival.

There is also the 17 PMC, which is a necked down 22 Short.

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
well i hope you don t shoot too many ranchers..they just might not take a liken to you..just kidding..
have at it ,getthem rats. slim:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know of no one making the .32 rimfire anymore. I don't believe cartridges have been made for more than 20 years, perhaps longer.
I have a Marlin model 1892 lever-action rifle that can fire the .32 Short rimfire, if I switch the firing pin. I keep an eye out for .32 rimfire ammo but rarely see it. And when I do, it's always old stuff that is more intended for cartridge collectors than shooting. Typically, a box of 50 will run $80 or more, depending on vintage or condition. Too expensive and rare for shooting.
A few years ago I heard that someone was going to offer .44 Henry rimfires, for the old, lever-action rifles that were made in the 1860s, but never heard another thing. Doubt that any cartridges were ever made.
Occasionally, one hears that someone plans to make .56 Spencer rimfires but nothing ever comes of it.
Seems to me that .44 Henrys and .56 Spencer rimfires would be prohibitively expensive to make, considering the low market, and probably lead to a lawsuit when someone uses them in a worn gun. Hardly worth the effort.
The .41 Rimfire short appears every other decade it seems. It's made to fit the little Remington over/under deringer that was made from 1867 to just before World War II. Though it's .41 caliber, it's very weak. I've read of its bullets bouncing off a hardwood stump, they're so low-powered.
At one time, there were many rimfire cartridges offered, in an astounding array of sizes and shapes. Today, the .17, 5mm and .22 rimfires are about all one sees in new production.
I'd like to see someone make the .25 Stevens rimfire, as there are many find, old rifles out there for it. The last ammo was probably made in the late 1930s. It was much admired as a small game round, as it fired a larger, heavier lead bullet than the .22 Long Rifle and killed game better.
A run of .32 rimfires would also be welcome, and the little Remington deringer owners would surely enjoying seeing a fresh batch of .41 rimfires.
Myself, I'd like to win the lottery so I could have a run of .50-caliber Browning Machine Gun cartridges made as rimfires!
Just to see the look on everyone's face would be priceless! :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
I know of no one making the .32 rimfire anymore. I don't believe cartridges have been made for more than 20 years, perhaps longer.
I have a Marlin model 1892 lever-action rifle that can fire the .32 Short rimfire, if I switch the firing pin. I keep an eye out for .32 rimfire ammo but rarely see it. And when I do, it's always old stuff that is more intended for cartridge collectors than shooting. Typically, a box of 50 will run $80 or more, depending on vintage or condition. Too expensive and rare for shooting.

I have seen newly manufactured .32 rimfire ammunition in the past year. Someone was shootng an old top break revolver with this ammunition. I believe it was made by Fiocci, but I could be wrong. I am sure that an internet search would turn up more information.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a couple of Boxes of .22 WRF. I bought them a couple of years ago at Gander Mountain. They are basicly a shorter version of the .22 Win Mag. They work in a .22 Win Mag Revolver and were originaly developed for a now obsolete rifle.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Kirkster,

To bad for the shooters/hunters that you can't have a replay of the high in jack rabbit populations that Eastern Oregon had in about 1958.

Moved to the Dayville area from Salem about then, and it was great shooting for a kid.

Dad would drive the pickup on the back roads and I'd tap on the top when critters were in sight.

We lived on Mountain Creek, about 6 miles above where it flows into Rock Creek which then flows into the John Day river - in "Picture Gorge" - in about another 3 - 4 miles

Cousin's, our nearest neighbor 7 miles down the road were trying to get a new hay field started. Pouring water on it and every night the jacks would come in and eat it down.

Spent a couple evenings on the hill side above the field, and just about dusk here they'd come.

Oh to have had then one of the rifles I have now. Center fire or Rim Fire.

By the way, about anything you want to know about rimfire rifles is available on the Rimfire Central forum.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts