Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of a rimless hornet? It seems like it'd be a nice cartridge for small game, and just a good woods gun. More power than a lease but yet still be able to squeeze alot of ammo in a small space. Or how about a .25 mag? Should be about the same size.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Guess I haven't heard of one.
I would think a K-Hornet would give far less problems with headspacing issues.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The 5.7x28mm case is nominally a Rimless design and Could be Necked up to .257 diameter Bullet Use easily. it is shorter Than the Hornet while having an efficient Powder Chamber Volume.

I Reform by swaging down the Cases to .276" Diameter for my .250 Diameter Bullet Wildcats.
If Trimmed to 1.055" case Length, the same as The .22WRM case length, it would make a Nice ".25 Magnum Auto" Cartridge. Especially if Loaded to 50,000psi MAP!

There is Also a 4.6x30mm that is Tapered, instead of Cylindrical, in the case body and slightly Longer of case length but requires more Opening of the Neck as it is roughly .17" Caliber.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
What action would be suitable for a rimless Hornet?? I can't think of a one.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Stuff a 223 Remington with Trail Boss - VOILA! A rimless 22 Hornet AI.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Not heard of a rimless Hornet. I wonder if the 30 carbine case necked to .22 (5.7 Johnson, I think) would give around the same ballistics.

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
GLS 1956 got it. The Fireball is a rimless K-Hornet but with slightly more capacity.

Here's a Hornet, K-Hornet and Fireball side by side.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Except the Fireball is about 400fps faster than the Hornet, all other things being equal? The Fireball is much closer to the 223 Remington than it is the Hornet, and I got the impression the OP wanted a semi-auto load that was in the velocity range of the Hornet.

Maybe he'll reply and clarify what he was asking.

·
Premium Member
15,347 Posts
He's still faced with a cute cartridge and no suitable action or magazine to put it in. The action would have to be locked-bolt and almost as tiny as the market for it. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the impression the OP wanted a semi-auto load that was in the velocity range of the Hornet.

Maybe he'll reply and clarify what he was asking.
Kinda. I bought a cmr-30 and love the small, light weight gun with a good capacity. I was hoping to find a centerfire (reloadable, and more reliable), rimless round to fill the same nitch. Truck gun, well jeep gun, and small game. I figured if I could find a rimless version, more likely a wildcat I could shoehorn it into a semi auto. I'm starting to really think the 5.7 might be the best choice. Either that or 30 carbine. Specially in the Excel arms x series. Just wish I could find a review on one.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
There was a company that chambered a M1 Carbine, called the Ferret chambered for the .256 Win. Mag. I never saw one but wondered how it was able to feed, since the .256 is a rimmed cartridge.:confused:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Kinda. I bought a cmr-30 and love the small, light weight gun with a good capacity. I was hoping to find a centerfire (reloadable, and more reliable), rimless round to fill the same nitch. Truck gun, well jeep gun, and small game. I figured if I could find a rimless version, more likely a wildcat I could shoehorn it into a semi auto. I'm starting to really think the 5.7 might be the best choice. Either that or 30 carbine. Specially in the Excel arms x series. Just wish I could find a review on one.
Maybe an AR chambered in 257 TCU or the newer Sharps 25-45. It's a horrible name for this cartridge, but it's basically a 223 (45mm case) necked up to 25 caliber. Recoil is light enough, although it's still a LOT more gun than a 22 Hornet.

Reactions: Davers

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Maybe an AR chambered in 257 TCU or the newer Sharps 25-45. It's a horrible name for this cartridge, but it's basically a 223 (45mm case) necked up to 25 caliber. Recoil is light enough, although it's still a LOT more gun than a 22 Hornet.
I have a .257 T.C.U. in my cartridge collection. Looks like it would be a nice rifle cartridge.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I have a .257 T.C.U. in my cartridge collection. Looks like it would be a nice rifle cartridge.
The 6mm TCU or the 257 TCU always made the most sense to me, out of that lineup. Anything bigger and you're just asking too much from the diminutive 223 parent case. That's why I went with the 6.5 JDJ, which uses the semi-rimmed, but much larger, 225 Winchester case. I keep telling myself I'm going to have one made in a rifle barrel, but other projects seem to keep popping up. :)

Reactions: Davers
1 - 15 of 15 Posts