Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With a standard base ("standard" meaning not one of the elevated bases), should we get medium or short rings?

Scope will be either a 40mm, 42mm, or *possibly* a 50mm.

We are concerned about bolt clerance especially.... because we want to be able to actually use our gun! :D

Known Info on all of these objective bell sizes would be greatly appreciated, for me AND future readers of this post.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I'll take a swing at this one...

Get the lowest bases and rings that will work with the scope you choose. The bolt clearance is likely to be a non-issue. I would not consider an objective bell size larger than 42 unless your magnification is going to exceed 12x. IMHO, it is a rare circumstance when a 223 benefits from more than 12 power magnification.

Keep in mind that the higher your line of sight is, the farther away from the comb of the rifle your cheek is going to be. This might result in needing some kind of raised cheek piece, perhaps in a lace-on pad, and it will also have an effect on your maximum PBR calculations. While it may seem advantageous to have a higher scope mounting, it can actually have a deleterious effect, causing mid-range trajectory to be well above line-of-sight. If you're shooting varmints at ranges from 75 to 350 yards, and want to maintain a 4" high sight radius, high scope mounts will limit how you can sight in.

If you're going to be using a scope with turret adjustments and/or a MIL-type scope, the above is not so important. Personally, I don't want to be dialing my scope up or down while I'm in the field.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Good info so far. I'm figuring you're meaning medium or short "rings" NOT "bases" as said in your original posting here. There should be no problem with Objective clearance with medium rings and a 40 or 42 mm Objective. Most companies suggest medium rings for these objective sizes. I'd say you'll need high rings for a 50mm objective and all it's inherent additional problems (already mentioned). I've never run into any type of bolt clearance issues with any scope/base/ring application in any of my M700 rifles. Perhaps with some older FN or Mauser actions low rings could be an issue as well as with the new CZ 550 rifles. I've found medium height rings to be the lowest I could use with adequate bolt clearance with CZ 550s. No such issue with M700s tho.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info so far. I'm figuring you're meaning medium or short "rings" NOT "bases" as said in your original posting here.
Yep, sorry about the typo there. I was balancing AP homework and guns :rolleyes:

But thanks for the detailed posts, its really good stuff. I know we're going to stay away from the "high" rings, because it just doesn't feel.... right... to have your cheek not firmly planted into the comb of the stock.

Does anyone know if it would be, erm, legal to take the rifle into a store like Bass Pro and physically put things onto it to see what would be the best fit, before we even leave the store?

It's far-fetched i guess... but I guess I've never heard one way or another if this is possible. I'm hoping my imaginiation isn't just getting the best of me!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Yep, sorry about the typo there. I was balancing AP homework and guns :rolleyes:

But thanks for the detailed posts, its really good stuff. I know we're going to stay away from the "high" rings, because it just doesn't feel.... right... to have your cheek not firmly planted into the comb of the stock.

Does anyone know if it would be, erm, legal to take the rifle into a store like Bass Pro and physically put things onto it to see what would be the best fit, before we even leave the store?

It's far-fetched i guess... but I guess I've never heard one way or another if this is possible. I'm hoping my imaginiation isn't just getting the best of me!
Kudos for taking the AP stuff...study hard and it all pays off! ;)

The lowest rings you can get away with are best as they do give you that correct "feel", of having your cheek right down on the comb.

Remove the bolt from the gun, or otherwise secure the action, place the gun in a case (hard or soft-sided) and walk on into Bass Pro or Gander Mountain. If you have any concerns at all, call them ahead of time and ask how they prefer your gun be brought in. I don't know about the BPS stores, but many of the Gander Mountain outlets have a gunsmith on-site, several days/wk. He's the guy you want to work with on getting the right bases, rings and scope...NOT the college kid behind the counter who probably just learned to distinguish between a M70 and M700 two weeks ago. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts