Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try roll crimping with once-fired hulls. The hulls were 6-fold Winchester. How do I determine how much to trim off the hull to begin with? I suspect there will be some trial and error on every different load, but is there a reasonable start length? Also, when I'm done, I assume the loaded round should be the same length as a fold crimp round?

·
Banned
2,428 Posts
12 ga 3" Mag Specs:
Rolled Crimp Max @ 2.760"
Fold Crimp Max @ 2.655"
It is very hard to roll crimp hulls that were fold crimp unless the fold crimp is ironed out with a spinner type gizmo (BPI has one for sale) If you trim off the fold crimp the shell will be too short.
Sometimes 3" hull once fired can be found to trim to 2 3/4"...or 3 1/2" once fired to trim to 3"'
Just some thoughts, James

·
Banned
502 Posts
I use Katies curling iorn to straighten the hulls so I can go from roll crimp to fold crimp. She gave me her curring iron to do this with. I think it works better than spinners.

Jerry

·
Banned
2,428 Posts
Sounds good, so I would not trim them....James

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you trim off the fold crimp the shell will be too short.
That is true for 2 3/4" hulls if you wish to use standard plastic wads. If you assemble a "traditional" wad column instead, you can load roll crimped shotshells made from trimmed 2 3/4" hulls.
Also, I have found that a star-crimped paper hull, like the Federal paper hulls, once fired, can be effectively roll crimped without trimming.
Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts