Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at buying a
Rossi Model 92 Round BBL Lever Action Rifle R92-55018, 44 Remington Mag, 16 in, Walnut Stock, Stainless Steel Finish
Anyone have an opinion about this rifle?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Tha M92 is a really strong action and is chambered in .454 Casull. There are some minor issues that can easily worked out. Check out this site http://store.stevesgunz.com/ that is link to store and parts to make your gun work better and the main site has more info http://www.stevesgunz.com/ . I know I want a 20" stainless from Mr. Steve in .45 Colt. Once they are tuned up these M92s are winners.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
What do you have in mind for the rifle, Bernie? I personally don't like the stainless look, especially on a lever-action, but the design is excellent and that cartridge/barrel combination makes for a very handy and effective 125-yard deer gun.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Rossi Model 92 Round BBL Lever Action Rifle R92-55018, 44 Remington Mag, 16 in, Walnut Stock, Stainless Steel Finish
I've got both a blued and stainless 92 (24" oct bbl rifles) and love em. Never thought I'd like the stainless till I saw the one I have now in person. Great looking piece. The wood matches the stainless finish to a T. Also have a 20" oct bbl short rifle 92 with case hardened finish. No complaints about any of the three.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have a Rossi in .45 LC & .357 Mag . My .44 Mag is a Marlin .

The 2 Rossies are more fun to shoot , less recoil .

The .44 supprised me ( after all , it is a handgun caliber ? ) . But they are light .

Also , I have a scope on the .44 , eyes are not what they used to be . :-(

I have 2 .45-70 Marlins , but they are heavier and have more wood , to hang on to . And a larger but on the stock .

I shoot home cast bullets in all . This makes them economical to shoot .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rossi 92 24inch octagon

For me, it is very reliable. Action was done using Steves DVD set. It's pretty slick, although jams occassionally. However, it's very accurate and makes a nice combo with my .357mag Uberti Cattleman 1873. Rossi 92 is 24inch octagonal barrel rifle in .44mag. That is maybe not 100% matched combo, but I can shoot .357s accurately out of revolver. Kick of .44mag in revolver is hard for me. I'm small frame guy. 5'7", 160lbs. This combo works for me, and I am happy with it.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Kick of .44mag in revolver is hard for me. I'm small frame guy. 5'7", 160lbs. This combo works for me, and I am happy with it.
Have you ever considered shooting reduced loads ? :D My "target/plinking" 44 mag loads are a 240 grain LFN loaded to 1000 fps in a 5.5" revolver, these run about 1300 fps out of a 24" bbl rifle. Loaded with 9 grains Unique lit with a std pistol primer. Comfortable enought to shoot all day with a pistol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a Rossi 92 .44 mag, round barrel, stainless, with a 20" barrel. The wood on the fore end wasn't made properly, so it was uneven on the left side. A block plane is taking care of that, but I'm still stumped on what to use to restore the finish.

The mag tube leaps so far forward after firing five rounds that the follower jams, and you can't load new ammo. I've been working on resolving that issue. So far, I've resorted to soldering and welding, but it still moves under recoil.

Out of the box, the rifle shoots about 6 inches high at 25 yards, and about 8 inches high at 50 yards. I've ordered replacement sights that should improve that, but it's incredible, to me, that the gun is allowed out of the factory in that condition.

Overall, it's a decent gun, but expect to spend some time, effort and money making it into a great gun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had the same probs with my 92

I had the same problem with the Rossi 92 shooting high. I replaced the front sight and it is OK. I refinished the stock on my Marlin 45-70 using Tung oil. It came out real nice and water proof. Will probably do the same to the 92.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really like them. Mine are .357, .44-40, .44 mag - I've played with others.

My .357 is stainless. I wasn't so sure at first, I like the tradition that goes with levers, but that look grows on you. Most people at the range will stop and ask to look at it. I also don't worry about it so much in the field.

No issues after thousands of rounds.

They are a cowboy design for cowboy loads.

When someone complains about them, it's almost always associated with high pressures and heavy loads. That's a lot of recoil for such a light rifle. By light, I don't mean weak, I mean light weight. The recoil is ugly with heavy loads. A full magazine of heavy bullets is a lot of kinetic strain on that little screw holding the mag tube. It takes a very firm crimp to keep from hammering the bullets into the case.

Differences in point of impact can be significant depending on the recoil of the load and the build and grip strength of the shooter.

I think the marlin is a better design for such abuse. But yes, with a few mods the 92 may be improved in it's ability to hold up to the pounding. Many of us stuggle to keep such combos as the .454 on target, especially after the first shot. It requires more of the shooter to be steady under recoil.

For those of us that recognize an original weight cast lead bullet at 800-1200 fps is a very deadly combination within the range of traditional sights, you likely won't have problems.

Like any new lever, they smooth out with use. "Slicking up the action" for the most part is just controlled wear.

I'd encourage you to buy one. But do realize that light, short, round barrel with a steel buttplate using jacketed heavy magnum loads will definately get your attention.

Good Luck

·
Registered
361 Posts
I ordered one just like that. When I got home I realized I had a 20" one. With the mucking around it would have been I didn't even consider changing it. I love it. I have not done anything to it, I like the look of it. It is a bit rougher to cycle the action than my original '92 but one would expect that. Mine came with the rear site with the notched ramp under it so you can adjust elevation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quality of Rossi M92

I received my model 92 Rossi .44mag today. Quite disappointed in the quality of finish and wood to metal fit. Like COSTEVE, I applied a finish to the wood. It looks a 100% better. The wood to metal fit is not too bad, something I can live with. The rifle itself shoots great. No problems as of yet. The rifle is accurate and doesn't have much recoil. This may be due to the fact it has a 24" octagon barrel making it a little heavier. I think that while they are not Winchesters, The craftsman-ship could be a lot better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree the craftsmanship could be better, but not for twice the purchase price. Winchester can keep their 92's.
I totally agree with you as to the price of new winchesters. I was referring to the quality of the old Winchester as to the Rossi. The old Winchesters are very pricey compared to the Rossi. I recently purchased a Winchester 1894 made in 1920, and it was pricey. No complaints as to the operation of the Rossi as of yet. I may consider the Steve Young trigger job later. After applying a finish to the Rossi, it's taken on a new look. I hope Rossi will take in consideration of a rifle that has potential and improve quality as I am considering purchasing a model 92 in .357 mag caliber.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I totally agree with you as to the price of new winchesters. I was referring to the quality of the old Winchester as to the Rossi. The old Winchesters are very pricey compared to the Rossi. I recently purchased a Winchester 1894 made in 1920, and it was pricey. No complaints as to the operation of the Rossi as of yet. I may consider the Steve Young trigger job later. After applying a finish to the Rossi, it's taken on a new look. I hope Rossi will take in consideration of a rifle that has potential and improve quality as I am considering purchasing a model 92 in .357 mag caliber.
Totally with you here. I have a 1912 32-20 92 and it's a great shooter, but it's been a hand me down on my wife's side of the family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Rossi in .45 LC & .357 Mag . My .44 Mag is a Marlin .

The 2 Rossies are more fun to shoot , less recoil .

The .44 supprised me ( after all , it is a handgun caliber ? ) . But they are light .

Also , I have a scope on the .44 , eyes are not what they used to be . :-(

I have 2 .45-70 Marlins , but they are heavier and have more wood , to hang on to . And a larger but on the stock .

I shoot home cast bullets in all . This makes them economical to shoot .

God bless
Wyr
Sir,

Just bought a new Rossi92, .44 mag, but no one seems to know if I can put a scope on it. Noticed you put a scope on yours, sought you could give me an insight on how to go about it since there are no mounting holes available for mounting.

Thanks in advance

Mandi

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Sir,

Just bought a new Rossi92, .44 mag, but no one seems to know if I can put a scope on it. Noticed you put a scope on yours, sought you could give me an insight on how to go about it since there are no mounting holes available for mounting.

Thanks in advance

Mandi
You didn't comprehend what he posted. His 44 is a Marlin. You would have to buy a side mount for a Winchester 94, then have your Rossi drilled and tapped to mount it. If you want a scope center mounted, you'll have to buy a Marlin.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You didn't comprehend what he posted. His 44 is a Marlin. You would have to buy a side mount for a Winchester 94, then have your Rossi drilled and tapped to mount it. If you want a scope center mounted, you'll have to buy a Marlin.
Or put a scout mount ( on the Rossi M92 ) in place of the rear sight & use a long eye relief scope .

That never appealed to me .

God bless
Wyr

1 - 20 of 27 Posts