Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. Purchased new Rossi '92 in .38/.357 by Taurus-Brazil... fired approx.
300 rds. through it in past two months. I clean with Bore Snake from chamber to end
of barrel using Gunzilla. Today I shot both .38 and .357 rounds, cleaned rifle, cycled
lever action..........and couldn't pull trigger to lower hammer??? Never experienced anything
like this before, nor have I ever heard of this happening. Read a lot of articles on what to
expect from Rossi's and lever action rifles. My Rossi is perfect in every other respect.
I would appreciate an opinion from an expert. Thanks for your response.
RossiRuger

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I'm not an "expert" by any means but I have had experience working with the '92.

Your hammer may be locked into the safety notch located in the hammer.

Try pressing down on the hammer spur with your thumb to fully cock the hammer. Then squeeze the trigger and see if you can gently ease the hammer down.

Another thought: The '92 trigger also contains the sear (not a separate part) and if the sear to hammer notch is not fitted properly or has worn, the trigger may require much more pressure to release the hammer. If this is the case, you may require the services of a gunsmith to stone the sear and/or hammer notch.

If not, you could disassemble your rifle to isolate and eliminate the problem or take it to a gunsmith. Best wishes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....

Marshal, tried all of your suggestions and decided to take it to a gunsmith. He said
this was his first experience with my problem, but said he would look into the action
and make a determination on wheather to send it to manufacturer if he couldn't do
the repair work. He stated regardless of what he found, he would call me before he
shipped or repaired and discuss it with me. That kind of service I appreciate.
I appreciate your input regardless of experience. Opinions are helpful when asked
for and your response is appreciated.
Joe;)

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Joe,
Sorry my suggestions did not fix your problem. A gunsmith should be able to get your rifle working again. You made a good choice. These are very strange times. This is the third time I have tried to help a fellow shooter with a '92 problem to no avail. The '92 is an unusually robust firearm and not prone to malfunctioning. I have two of these and have disassembled and assembled both. Sure wish you were my next door neighbor as I would be more than willing to take a look at your rifle. Best wishes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good try.....

Tried several things, but with the hammer cocked all the way back, nothing
would budge.....up, down or sideways. Don't mind the wait since I really
enjoy shooting it. I have put a number of holes in paper targets and am
very satisfied with my reloads and the accuracy of the rifle. I'm really glad
I decided on the 24" octogan barrel and the weight of the rifle helps steady
my shots. Overall I'm a happy shooter, plinker, hunter. Looking forward to
my first shot at a deer and then I'll know the lethality of the .38 +P and
.357 loads. Until then, I'm going to be satisfied with ole' coyote shootin'.
Joe;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have any Chronograph measurements

I'm interested in the difference in velocity from pistol to rifle length barrels !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts