Shooters Forum banner

Rossi 92 reloading question

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jswbga 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am about to receive my new stainless 24" octagon barrel Rossi lever action. It's a .44 mag and I want to reload for it. Does anyone have a good load for a 24" barrel. I would like to use some Beartooth 300 g WFN and 250 Keith style bullets. I am reloading for a 44 special so I plan to get a good supply I can use for both also.

Thanks!

#2 ·
While I have a 357mag version of your Rossi, I can tell you that you want to use a slower burning powder to gain the full advantage of your 24" barrel. For instance, my 7 ½ Uberti SAA runs 158grn Zero JSP bullets at 1,458fps but those same loads run 1,822fps out of my 24" Rossi.

#3 ·
I think the profile of the Keieth bullet wont work that well (due to OAL issues) in a .44 mag. it'd probably do fine in a .44 special brass.

I load Beartooth 265 WFN and really like it. I shoot 23 grains of H110, but its a LOT of recoil, especially if I'm shooting them out of my Ruger SBH. Once I run through what I've loaded, I'm definately going to slow it down. Its just not that fun in a lightweight gun. My .44 puma is the round short barrel.

good luck to you. I have no personal experience w/the 300 or 250 gr.

shane

#4 ·
Lever guns can be fussy about feeding. Also the twist may not be correct for 300 gr bullets. Look at the BTB offerings and pick one that says works in leverguns. I think the BTB 250 gr WFNGC is about ideal for 44 leverguns. Had a Marlin CB with 24" barrel 1 in 38" twist. A good plinking load was with Unique and a 200 gr RNFP at about 1400 fps.

#5 ·
Thanks for the great info and replies, it is much appreciated. I got some bullets ordered from the helpful people at beartooth bullets and got my reloading machine set up. I decided on some 250 g WFN and some 300 WFN to try out, and some 200 g RN FP I found on clearance at a local place. If all goes well I will be at the range this week.

I was very impressed with the great help and service at Beartooth. I will definitely be a return customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.