Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the way the 92s look and have decided I don't want to pay the price for a Browning made version. So I am thinking maybe the Brazil 92 would be the way to go. I don't like the safety, but I understand it can be removed, at least funtionally. I don't want to buy a "junk" gun but don't really know what to expect from the Rossi. I have come to respect the people's opinions on this board and would like to hear any and all comments about the Rossi M92 in 44 Mag. The other rifle I am considering is the Ruger 77/44 bolt action. Different than the lever, I know. Would also like opinions about the Ruger.
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got a Rossi in 454 in Stainless. Real nice looking gun. I am a Browning fan, but I am a fan of money in my wallet a little more than I am a fan of Browning.

The Rossi Model 92is a very strong gun...if you reload you can work up some decent loads for it.

I like the lever action better than a bolt. If I got bolt gun I'd take advantage of the magazine and use a cartridge with a pointed bullet. I am personally a fan of big bores now, and having decided that the leveraction gets my vote because I can cycly a lever faster than a bolt.

Accuracy is comparable. The lever will certainly be able to do anything that the bolt can do...with the exception of mounting a scope. If you are a scope fan go with the Ruger. It comes with integral mounts and easily accepts a scope. The Model 92 is a pain to scope...not even sure if it can be done.

Haven't checked prices, but I am guessing that they are comparable...within $100. Not sure if money is a determining factor in your choice or not.

If you have been reading lever action forums you'll notice that lever fans just can't get enough of the design. Seems that they have been around for so long and have all of that history and they have a real high "cool factor" in their favor. I read the bible recently and I am certain that they forgot the part about Noah bringing 2 firearm designs onto the Ark. Seems a lever and a SAA were his top choices...Before the feces hit the oscilating blades and we get splattered I'll leave you alone...LIV
:cool: ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"I am a Browning fan, but I am a fan of money in my wallet a little more than I am a fan of Browning."
Precisely my thoughts on the model 92 Browning I was looking at.
andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
andy
A few years back my wife bought me a Rossi92 in .44Mag and it has become a favorite of mine. Shoots real well with cast and has plenty of accuracy for the ranges its good too.:D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have been more specific. I am leaning towards a lever, Winchester has lost me with its rate of twist and strange hammer, Marlins I don't care for the way they look. I think the little Ruger is neat but not sure its for me. Main use will be recreation, not really for hunting, just for playing around with a big bore rifle. I have kind of decided that the Rossi is the way to go, but worry about quality. Did your Rossi's work fine out of the box, and if not, what work did you do to make them what you wanted. I have looked at them, the plastic magazine follower has to go, replacements are available in steel tho, the sights didn't impress me, but once again, replacements are available for not too much. And finally the safety, Paco outlines a way to de-activate and disguise the safety. I do love the way the 92s look, thats the main reason for asking about the Rossi.
andy

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
A friend has a Rossi .44, I have not shot it but he has been completely satisfied. He is a mechanical engineer so would probably have something to say if it disappointed him in any way.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
andy
Yep,
That safety looks funky but it don't affect the fun or the shootin'. I didn't do a thing to mine but start shootin' it outa the box, no problems in several thousand rounds so far countin' 2 smallish deer n 1 broken leg cow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Andy, You do not have to do a thing to them out of the box. IT's a proven design. Been around for over a hundred years. Rossi added some new steel to an old design and it just got better. I am very pleased with the finish on mine. Certainly not worth going to a more expensive rifle because the finish will not be worth the additional price. I have been having some trouble getting RNFP 45 LC to feed in my 454, but then again it wasn't designed for them either.

If you decide to, you can tear the rifle apart and slick up the action. Somewhere at sixgunner.com they talk about it, or do a search on Rossi 92 and you will get a bunch of advice on the action. Does it have to have it...no, does it benefit from it...yes.

Sounds to me like your decision is made. The Stainless is gorgeous if you decide to go that route. Have Fun. LIV

·
Banned
738 Posts
andy,

When you are looking for your Rossi / Brazill 92 be carefull.

I got an older Rossi Puma .45 Colt last November at a gunshow here in IL. It was NIB and quite nice.

BUT:

It wouldn't feed anything. Not even factory ammo. I ended up sending it to M&M who is the Rossi warrentee repair station. He worked it over so it would feed. I sent some dummy rounds loaded up with the BTB 265 gr KSWC so he could adjust the action to make sure those would feed.

I have read that the newer Brazillian 92's are made with more attention to detail.
I might be wrong, but Navy Arms once told me that they didn't have the safty on their rifles. (Their 92's are made in the same factory that makes the Legacy's and Rossi's.) That may have changed, but I'd look there first.

Since getting mine back I haven't been able to shoot it much, but I really like the way it feels and handles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts