Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
141 Posts
I just got a Rossi in 454 in Stainless. Real nice looking gun. I am a Browning fan, but I am a fan of money in my wallet a little more than I am a fan of Browning.

The Rossi Model 92is a very strong gun...if you reload you can work up some decent loads for it.

I like the lever action better than a bolt. If I got bolt gun I'd take advantage of the magazine and use a cartridge with a pointed bullet. I am personally a fan of big bores now, and having decided that the leveraction gets my vote because I can cycly a lever faster than a bolt.

Accuracy is comparable. The lever will certainly be able to do anything that the bolt can do...with the exception of mounting a scope. If you are a scope fan go with the Ruger. It comes with integral mounts and easily accepts a scope. The Model 92 is a pain to scope...not even sure if it can be done.

Haven't checked prices, but I am guessing that they are comparable...within $100. Not sure if money is a determining factor in your choice or not.

If you have been reading lever action forums you'll notice that lever fans just can't get enough of the design. Seems that they have been around for so long and have all of that history and they have a real high "cool factor" in their favor. I read the bible recently and I am certain that they forgot the part about Noah bringing 2 firearm designs onto the Ark. Seems a lever and a SAA were his top choices...Before the feces hit the oscilating blades and we get splattered I'll leave you alone...LIV
:cool: ;)

· Banned
141 Posts
Andy, You do not have to do a thing to them out of the box. IT's a proven design. Been around for over a hundred years. Rossi added some new steel to an old design and it just got better. I am very pleased with the finish on mine. Certainly not worth going to a more expensive rifle because the finish will not be worth the additional price. I have been having some trouble getting RNFP 45 LC to feed in my 454, but then again it wasn't designed for them either.

If you decide to, you can tear the rifle apart and slick up the action. Somewhere at sixgunner.com they talk about it, or do a search on Rossi 92 and you will get a bunch of advice on the action. Does it have to have it...no, does it benefit from it...yes.

Sounds to me like your decision is made. The Stainless is gorgeous if you decide to go that route. Have Fun. LIV

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.