Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Interarms marked Rossi 92. It feeds 38 spl flawlessly even with SWCs. With longer 357s feeding gets fussy about cartridge OAL and bullet shape. So it ends up that you can't just feed it any 357 ammo and I have to keep ammo it likes set aside if I want reliable feeding.
I've noticed that the right side cartridge guide ramp is a bit more forward than the left side. So my question is...Am I just experiencing life the way it is with Rossi 92s or is it possible to find a replacement right side cartridge guide and hope for a more even alignment. I really like this rifle. I wouldn't mind putting some extra effort into it if I could make an improvement.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My Rossi 92 doesn't care. It will digest .38 specials or .357 magnums equally. I did have problems with some .357s that would not chamber, but I found the reason. When reloading those cartridges, I set the seating die to also do the crimping, and the result was that the cases were slightly bulged. It is still a mystery to me as to just how that happened, but running those cartridges through again and using the Lee factory crimp die solved the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's such a fun little gun. I wish it was less crabby about feeding magnum rounds. I don't have much experience with these, but I can see that it's a close call getting the magnum length rounds cammed into position before they jam between the bolt and chamber. I'm guessing those guides have to be just right for magnum rounds to cycle smoothly.The only thing I can see is that the guides aren't even. The right side is more forward. Looks like it depends entirely on the left side guide to cam the round into position. I think reshaping the left side guide to match it would be a mistake. That would make the timing even later and the left side is part of a very expensive looking interrupter assembly. I've been scanning the internet for a right side guide to play with, but no luck. I suppose I could just leave it. If I stick to TC cast bullets, jacketed bullets like XTPs and keep the OAL under 1.585, it can be a little sticky but reliable.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Examine your magnum rounds closely, and try to drop one in from the top. If it won't go in, find out why. If it will feed .38 specials, it will feed .357 magnums, unless there is an issue with those magnum rounds.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Lever rifles can be fussy about what they will feed. You might have a gunsmith that works on lever rifles look at it.

The cowboy cast RNFP generally work OK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may be wrong. I'm not an experienced gunsmith, but I do think my problem is that the cartridge guides don't cam the round up early enough to keep the longer magnum rounds from jamming. The fact that so many other people don't experience this leads me to believe that a very small difference in timing would fix it. Maybe if the rim contacted the ramps .005" earlier, magnums would feed slicker than a smelt. I can't say for sure, but the fact that I can't buy a right side guide to give it a try says something about buying a Rossi. If it were a Henry, I could talk to somebody in New Jersey and maybe get some help finding parts.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have an older Interarms marked Rossi 92. It feeds 38 spl flawlessly even with SWCs. With longer 357s feeding gets fussy about cartridge OAL and bullet shape. So it ends up that you can't just feed it any 357 ammo and I have to keep ammo it likes set aside if I want reliable feeding.
I've noticed that the right side cartridge guide ramp is a bit more forward than the left side. So my question is...Am I just experiencing life the way it is with Rossi 92s or is it possible to find a replacement right side cartridge guide and hope for a more even alignment. I really like this rifle. I wouldn't mind putting some extra effort into it if I could make an improvement.

On mine, the left side is slightly ahead of the right side.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Look at the the part of the lever that lifts the carrier. You can add material for three or four tries to test what needs to be changed by epoxying on a shim. DON'T remove metal until you know its the right thing to do. Follow the energy every step of the way. When one part is changed, things change downstream, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think I have it figured out. Had a relaxing afternoon to play with loading up dummy rounds and experimenting with the 92 a bit. With my particular Rossi, the distance between the guide ramps and chamber is a bit on the short side. That little bit of unevenness of the guides doesn't bother 38spl from loading one bit, so now I know that's not the issue. What happens with magnums is that the bullet tip jams against the chamber wall before the guides have a chance to lift the cartridge into position. A round sided flat point bullet seated in a case at the SAAMI recommended OAL of 1.590" will jam every time. Luckily, bullets with a straight sided truncated cone shape seated at OAL 1.585 feed OK. It is a pest. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Rossi again without first checking if it cycled the ammo it's supposed to.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
You can alter the angle of the bullet by sticking strips of common masking tape in the bottom of the lifter. Figure .003 per layer and when you have enough to make it work to suit you, take the tape out and epoxy a strip of shim stock the same thickness in and you're good to go.

PS-- Use brass shim stock and anneal it before putting it in. It will conform to the lifter better without the 'spring' in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can alter the angle of the bullet by sticking strips of common masking tape in the bottom of the lifter. Figure .003 per layer and when you have enough to make it work to suit you, take the tape out and epoxy a strip of shim stock the same thickness in and you're good to go.

PS-- Use brass shim stock and anneal it before putting it in. It will conform to the lifter better without the 'spring' in it.
I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip. This is one of those 16" Trappers. I love how small and light it is. Plus the front sight is close enough for my aging eyes to see. Fun to shoot. I tend to rationalize purchases like this by saying...Well, it's also a home defense tool...In truth I've been here on this farm for 43 years and nobody has showed up to murder me yet, but it's the best excuse I got and it goes out the window if it can't cycle reliably.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm afraid it all comes down to the distance between the cartridge guides and breech. If it's even a tiny bit short, magnum length rounds with cast SWCs or jacketed bullets with exposed soft lead tips will jam nearly every time. However, jacketed TC types with no exposed lead like Horandy XTP feed flawlessly. Any bullet in a 38 spl case also feeds fine. I'm writing today to pass along a new finding I think will be helpful to anyone else with this issue. If you like to practice with full power magnum rounds and want a less expensive commercially cast bullet, try Missouri Bullet 140 gr, truncated cone Zingers at Brinell 18 hardness. I tried their Hi-Tec coated version. No lube, no gas checks and after 50 rounds fired, no bore leading that I can see. I'm impressed. This Rossi is a great little gun. I don't mind avoiding certain ammo. I was just spoiled by my revolver that's happy with anything and doesn't require me to hunt around on the ground for fired brass. I'm still not used to loosing any brass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts